URD & LE Manifestations

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Card vs Card is a different matter than Card vs Rule.

As for Chance Meeting/WHCtK, I actually understand both those cards in way that is vastly different from the common interpretation, an interpretation which I feel breaks the game. But I've written about that elsewhere.

You seem to be arguing for a "common sense" method of interpreting cards. The problem is that common sense isn't actually that common. What seems clear for one person is not so for another. Whose common sense are we to be using?
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
rezwits
Council Member

Bandobras Took wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:38 am Card vs Card is a different matter than Card vs Rule.

As for Chance Meeting/WHCtK, I actually understand both those cards in way that is vastly different from the common interpretation, an interpretation which I feel breaks the game. But I've written about that elsewhere.

You seem to be arguing for a "common sense" method of interpreting cards. The problem is that common sense isn't actually that common. What seems clear for one person is not so for another. Whose common sense are we to be using?
There needs to be a like button on this DAMN forum!!

👍🏻

But one thing in the correctness of your statement is, that, when the common sense approach is used, there is always somebody who wants to BREAK a card, and that's where ALL these games (card) fail, because you need the "NetRep" approach/solution, to make the errata list for all the cards, it's just depressing.

I mean one day in the future, we (not us unfortunately, but kids in the future) will be playing with "digital cards" for whatever game there is, and if a card changes, it'll just get "updated" with the correct text, and errata will be a thing of the past...

We should start a project of updating all the text on the cards? WAIT A MINUTE, that is/was actually happening as we SPEAK!! erg... but alas, not very many people want to use the VC and/or Dreamcards! :(
As of 4/3/21 4:03:21
my current rulings foundation is based on:
All of the rules and rulings found in these PDFs at:
https://cardnum.net/rules
If you have other collected rulings that are not
listed please feel free to email them or PM me...
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

You might also take a look at the rewrite project I did.

The Dream Cards went with theme/simulation as their primary focus. I went with mechanical clarity. :)
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Bandobras Took wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:43 pm Regarding A Malady Without Healing:
CRF, Targets wrote:You cannot target an opponent's character or resources with your own resources.
This is unambiguous. Nothing on Malady overrides that. I have been consistently and repeatedly assured by various NetRep teams that a card must explicitly override the rules or the rules remain in force.

ICE DIGEST #582 says:
2. If my opponent plays A Malady Without Healing against me, can I respond to the corruption check with A Friend or Three (or any other resource) despite the fact that it is not my resource turn?

No. You may only play resources during your turn.
It seems quite clear based on this answer from Van Norton that Malady may indeed target an opponent, despite the fact it doesn't explicitly state so (and only insinuates it) on the card text.

The person asking the question clearly states: "If my opponent plays A Malady Without Healing against me"....

If Malady was only meant to be played on your own characters, Van would have stated as much in his answer. Instead, he clarified that because it's not your turn, you can't play a resource to help with the corruption check (confirming Malady can target an opponent).
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

the Jabberwock wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:29 am If Malady was only meant to be played on your own characters, Van would have stated as much in his answer. Instead, he clarified that because it's not your turn, you can't play a resource to help with the corruption check (confirming Malady can target an opponent).
It was meant to be played on opponent's characters, but its text is spoiled.
Instead to spoil a logic to make a spoiled card working as it was intended to work, it is better to correct its spoiled text.
Opposite approach makes more harm than good.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Konrad Klar wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:38 am
the Jabberwock wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:29 am If Malady was only meant to be played on your own characters, Van would have stated as much in his answer. Instead, he clarified that because it's not your turn, you can't play a resource to help with the corruption check (confirming Malady can target an opponent).
It was meant to be played on opponent's characters, but its text is spoiled.
Instead to spoil a logic to make a spoiled card working as it was intended to work, it is better to correct its spoiled text.
Exactly.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Konrad Klar wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:38 am It was meant to be played on opponent's characters, but its text is spoiled.
Fair enough. I'll make sure this gets voted on for an official erratum clarification. Thanks.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”