Balrog decks?

Post your decks, discuss strategy, ask for tips, etc.
Bob e Sardaukar

Someone needs to give me a breakdown on them. Are they effective? What types are there? Weaknesses? Ty.
Theskyscreams

That would be great.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Sorry I can’t provide much of a response because I haven’t yet built one myself.

I do know, however, that they can be effective because it’s not unusual to see one place high in tournaments.

I will ask Pawel if he can chime in as I believe he has a competitive Balrog deck.
Kjeld

I've attached three Balrog decks that I downloaded from MECCG.net back when it was still active. Not sure exactly where they're from or how good they are, but thought they might be useful.
Attachments
Balrog - Lord and Usurper.txt
(1.18 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
Balrog - CvCC with Troll Leaders.txt
(1.91 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
Balrog - CvCC with Hog.txt
(2.66 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
Bob e Sardaukar

Thank you for the replies. Yes I learned more from the challenge decks pdf gave me a better understanding how Balrog decks run let alone fallen wizards. Is dunking the ring viable in these types of decks?
kober

And how about anti-Balrog hazard decks?
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Don't really exist. First off, one does not know one is playing vs. Balrog, you make hazards vs. general minion. Secondly, Balrog decks vary, some are fully Under-deeps, some roam above ground, some have an active Balrog but most a squatting one.

In the meta-game, most Balrog decks currently operate above ground and in Eriador. But they might pay a visit to the Under-leas for Ancient Black Axe, or to surface site factions. So, a few Maia's, Arthadan Rangers, Nameless Things in the mix with your normal vs. minion hazards.

Or play DC games, you can add a special anti Balrog 10 hazard deck (like vs. FW) :wink:
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Lake Town Geezer

The other issue with Balrog decks - going forward - could be that they are just too valuable to play with.

If the price of the Balrog decks keeps going up in the way it has recently we could soon be in a situation where playing with the original cards just isn't a risk many people can afford to take! :shock:

Now this could be a 'good thing': as they are extremely overpowered (arguably).
Kjeld

For precisely that reason, I ordered myself an entire Balrog play set of proxy cards that work very nice for playing with (when sleeved). Cost me about $65, if I recall rightly.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

If you invest a small amount in quality sleeves - double sleeve your cards and handle them carefully, they should not wear any significant amount that would devalue them. I highly recommend KMC hyper matte sleeves with KMC perfect fit sleeves inside. Fantastic protection for your investment so that you can both collect and enjoy playing without worrying about them being damaged.

Proxies can be great for Solitaire play or practice, but some play groups and/or tournaments do not allow them, and others may only allow a limited quantity. Also, many of the players drawn to MECCG enjoy the "collectible" aspect of the game, but still want to play the game as well of course.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

hmm, i never though of devaluating any cards, because i am actually using them to play with. the playing-value will always be the same.
this logic would include, that you are thinking of selling the cards off one day. and this is not my logic ;-)
Lake Town Geezer

Two interesting points here:

Kjeld ... Where can I get a proxy set? How are they distinguished from real sets?

Throndor ... I know what you mean about not selling, however recent eBay sales *may* suggest Meccg isn't just a game, amazing art resource and all-round Tolkein extravaganza, but also a nice investment. You might even end up with Meccg stock exchanges, a bit like the 'lesser' game of MTG (ahem). :!:
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

going totally off topic now, but I find double sleeving to affect the visibility/readability of the card, giving it also less apeal.
And cards can still get bent etc., when you frequently get them in/out boxes.

that being said, cards are for playing. I assume that one's love for the game comes from playing, in the first place. So if the cards are that precious to you (and not for monetary reasons), it's worth getting a 2nd set. Or indeed make proxies, or indeed play more online!!!

I would rue the day that meccg becomes an investment object for some rich Sheik.
I use my Dutch Fatty in gaming, no problem, though if I had a Japanese Fury, that's where I'd draw the line, probably :lol:
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Lake Town Geezer

Ah.. Another proud Dutch Fatty owner. My Dutch Fatty is tucked up in his little binder pocket.

The thing with Balrog sets, is they are so valuable I cannot bring myself to even play with the second set either. I have managed to get a third copy of the Strider card though for playing with!
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

Thorsten the Traveller wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:57 pm going totally off topic now, but I find double sleeving to affect the visibility/readability of the card, giving it also less apeal.
And cards can still get bent etc., when you frequently get them in/out boxes.

that being said, cards are for playing. I assume that one's love for the game comes from playing, in the first place. So if the cards are that precious to you (and not for monetary reasons), it's worth getting a 2nd set. Or indeed make proxies, or indeed play more online!!!

I would rue the day that meccg becomes an investment object for some rich Sheik.
I use my Dutch Fatty in gaming, no problem, though if I had a Japanese Fury, that's where I'd draw the line, probably :lol:
Hmm, maybe I should think of a deck using Fury of the Iron Crown to show off a little bit ;-)

Return to “Decks, Strategy, Tips, Ideas”