What's The Use Of Strider?

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Far-Sight wrote:Tap the sage and the site to search through your play deck and choose an item that you must reveal to your opponent. This item is placed in your hand and the play deck is reshuffled.
All Thought Bent On It wrote:Search your play deck and choose a item you must reveal to your opponent. Place the item in your hand and reshuffle your play deck.
Strider wrote:Tap Strider to search your discard pile for any one item, ally, or faction playable at his current site.
Since Strider doesn't actually allow you to bring the card you search for to your hand, what's the point of the ability?

See also the Dwarven Rings, Palantir of Annuminas, Dragon-Lore, Choice of Luthien, Mistress Lobelia, The Windlord Found Me, Token of Goodwill, Akhorahil Unleashed, Keys of Orthanc, and Keys to the White Towers. Strider seems to be the only one that doesn't actually let you do anything with the card you search for. :)
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Clearly a little sloppy. Maybe signs of ICE beginning to crumble near the end? :roll:

Bandobras, would you like to make a thread here: viewforum.php?f=143

Or shall I?
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Probably a slip-up on their part, yes. Honestly, I'd rather have unified character play rules before worrying about Strider's fetching ability. :)
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Bandobras Took wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:35 pm Probably a slip-up on their part, yes. Honestly, I'd rather have unified character play rules before worrying about Strider's fetching ability. :)
It is undoubtedly a slip-up on their part, no question. Thus it needs a correction.

What are the unified character play rules you are referring to?
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=535

Cards that allow character play are currently all over the place in terms of consistency. Half of them override rules without specifically saying so and half of them don't override rules regardless of whether they say so. Strider currently allows Aragorn II to be played at any time even though it doesn't override the normal rules for playing characters other than the site.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Ok, well do you plan to make a submission for the character play inconsistencies you mention for the upcoming Annual Rules Vote?

Strider bringing his searched for card to owner's hand seems entirely independent and worthy of submission regardless of the above, however.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

No; the character play inconsistencies are inconsistencies of rulings and interpretations. They are not caused by the wording on the cards themselves, so don't need errata as such. They've just needed consistency from the NetRep. :)
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Bandobras Took wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:35 pm Honestly, I'd rather have unified character play rules before worrying about Strider's fetching ability. :)
Bandobras Took wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:18 am No; the character play inconsistencies are inconsistencies of rulings and interpretations. They are not caused by the wording on the cards themselves, so don't need errata as such. They've just needed consistency from the NetRep. :)
So you would rather have these character play inconsistencies fixed before addressing an obviously broken card that is entirely unrelated (Strider's fetching ability). However, you also don't plan to propose anything to fix the aforementioned character play inconsistencies? :?

There is currently no Net Rep, and it is entirely possible there will never again be a Net Rep. So if you are waiting for one to come along to clarify this issue, I think that is a mistake.

I have repeatedly heard complaints from both new and old players alike that the single most alienating aspect of MECCG is the swamp of rules inconsistencies, uncertainties and the confusion surrounding them. Through very deliberate effort, a system has been put in place to help alleviate this large drawback to our game. However, action is needed on the part of knowledgeable players to submit rule problems or inconsistencies which need amending for the Annual Rules Vote. Submissions do not have to be a singular erratum for a specific card. They can also be clarifications about particular cards or a group of cards which have similar characteristics or rules confusion. I strongly encourage you to pick a few of those you feel are the worst offenders and submit them for consideration for this year's Annual Rules Vote. Let's put them out to our playing community to collectively decide on, rather than leave them up for endless debate. :)

I will submit the Strider issue you brought up myself. Thanks for mentioning it.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

One of my character flaws is that I'm extremely pedantic. ;)

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”