Alert the Folk and Half-orcs

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Alert the Folk wrote:Playable on a company facing a Dragon or Drake attack (not Eärcaraxë). Discard from your hand and one or two factions playable at sites in Northern Rhovanion, Iron Hills, Woodland Realm, or Anduin Vales. All characters facing the attack gain a bonus to their prowess equal to the total marshalling point values (as printed on their cards) of the factions discarded.
Greater Half-orcs wrote:Playable at one of your protected Wizardhavens [W] (if tapped or untapped) if you have A Strident Spawn and Half-orcs in play and if the influence check is greater than 11. 'We had many of these half-orcs to deal with at Helm's Deep.'-LotRIII
Half-orcs wrote:Playable at one of your protected Wizardhavens [W] (if tapped or untapped) if you have A Strident Spawn and if the influence check is greater than 9. '...others that were horrible: man-high, but with goblin-faces, sallow, leering, squint-eyed...they reminded me at once of that Southerner at Bree...'-LotRIII
Fallen Wizard player has additional options:
- he can discard from hand Smaug Roused,
- if at least one site in listed regions happens to be [-me_sh-] or [-me_dh-] he can discard from hand Snaga-hai.

Question is: when he can discard Half-orcs?

A: If both at least one site in listed regions is his protected Wizard-Haven and he has A Strident Spawn?
B: If both at least one site in listed regions is protected Wizard-Haven and his owner has A Strident Spawn?
C: If both at least one site in listed regions is protected Wizard-Haven and any player has A Strident Spawn?
D: If at least one site in listed regions is protected Wizard-Haven (regardless of presence in play A Strident Spawn)?

My favourite is D.
Look at phrase "Playable at one of your protected Wizardhavens [W] (if tapped or untapped) if you have A Strident Spawn and if the influence check is greater than 9."

Obviously "if the influence check is greater than 9" is condition of successful playing the faction, not playability condition. The faction must be considered playable at site before influence check is made (and before its result is known to be greater than 9), otherwise the influence attempt could not be made at all.
"if you have A Strident Spawn" is not so obvious. It may be either playability condition, or condition that allows to make the influence attempt against the faction.
In first case if Half-orcs are already in play but A Strident Spawn is not (or other player has it in play, and has no protected Wizardhaven), the Half-orcs are considered nowhere playable.
In second case if Half-orcs are already in play but A Strident Spawn is not (or other player has it in play, and has no protected Wizardhaven), the Half-orcs are still considered playable at protected Wizardhaven.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I must confess, in the spirit of honesty, that I have absolutely no clue whatsoever. :)
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”