Region Movement - 2 Companies Travelling to the Same Site

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Theo wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:23 amThen I think an errata would need to be issued (although it would seem to me a deliberate disregard of an intent by the original designers). Underlines in the below quotes are mine.

From the NetRep rulings digest 35:
Clarification regarding the Middle-earth: The Balrog rules booklet:

The ME:BA rulesbook clearly defines what it considers new rules and what is considered a rules summary. Since this is delineated in the rulebook, the rules written in the Rules Summary section will not override those rules in the ME:LE rulebook when conflicts arise, though the ME:BA rulebook is a newer printing.
I've argued the same, too. Half the time the NetRep treats the Balrog Rules Summary as inaccurate suggestions and half the time as an official overturning of previous rules. :)

See also here.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Theo wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:23 am Then I think an errata would need to be issued (although it would seem to me a deliberate disregard of an intent by the original designers). Underlines in the below quotes are mine.
Indeed, this will have to be investigated further in the future. Perhaps an erratum or clarification may be necessary. It's impossible to say for certain what the intent was of the designers at any particular point in time. You can also make the argument that ICE realized this movement restriction for Hero only companies was silly and thus eliminated it with the Balrog rules summary. Furthermore, regardless of what the original intent was by ICE, they are now long gone, and as a player's community still actively involved and supporting the game, it is up to us to decide what makes for the most enjoyment and fun while playing the game. Logically it makes no sense at all that two separate Hero companies could not both use Region movement to move to the same non-Haven site. Everyone I have encountered plays with this Region movement permission for Hero companies (be it correct or not).
Clarification regarding the Middle-earth: The Balrog rules booklet:

The ME:BA rulesbook clearly defines what it considers new rules and what is considered a rules summary. Since this is delineated in the rulebook, the rules written in the Rules Summary section will not override those rules in the ME:LE rulebook when conflicts arise, though the ME:BA rulebook is a newer printing.
Theo wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:23 am This ruling (and that ME:LE indicates that its rules fall back to ME:TW) does not lead me to believe that it is "safe to say" that an absence of clarification from the Balrog turn summary implies that hero parties no longer have the restrictions as published in ME:TW (and explicitly NOT superceded by ME:LE, due to marginal bullets).
The NetRep then goes on to say.....
The main result of this is that followers of Wizards/Ringwraiths/Balrogs that aren't "Ringwraith Followers" by be influenced by an opponent,
contrary to the ME:BA rules booklet.
So the idea that the rule we are discussing is made null by this NetRep digest (addressing something fairly specific) I feel is incorrect. Furthermore, it was a single NetRep's opinion at the time, and this was never made into an official rule, so far as I'm aware. As Bandobras pointed out, there seems to be an ongoing argument about whether the Balrog Rules Summary overrides the MELE Rulebook or not.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

As Bandobras pointed out, there seems to be an ongoing argument about whether the Balrog Rules Summary overrides the MELE Rulebook or not.
I would be in favour of listing the controversial issues that arrise from the summary (if any), and declare the summary as non-binding. Even if it turns out helpful to this specific case, the community can make up their mind, taking clues from the summary.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
CDavis7M

The 2018 ARV approved this clarification:
Two or more Hero companies may choose to use region movement and travel to the same site during the same turn.
Not a bad idea. But this has already been the case for 24 years. You can also tell by the more recent rulesbooks. The people that dismissed the newer ICE rules were ignorant of the ICE rule changes.
ICE wrote:Okay, I just got a ton of email from ICE on questions I had passed on to
them for confirmation. Check em out y'all, and have a boss thanksgiving.

6) Region movement for companies to/from the same site is no longer
limited to one company. As many companies as you want can move to
or from a site with region movement (provided they have different
site paths). Consider this an errata to the rules.
ICE wrote:>tst...@ucsub.Colorado.EDU (Trevor "Isildur" Stone) writes:
>>>
>>You can only have one company go from one site to another (AFAIK). But you
>>can have several companies go to the same haven, though.
>
>The last thing can not be true. There can be several companies going to
>same site if they use different company path... So there is no
>differens in going gaven, and it's akay to leave the siege in small
>groups ??? !!!

You can have several companies meet at the same site, but they must
have come from different sites. Splitting a company at a site
implies that they are going to different places, not to the same
place different ways.

------ "The Crossing-guard of Mordor" ------
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien http://www.cstone.net/~ichabod
ich...@cstone.net Me:CCG Official Netrep