Neither so Ancient Nor so Potent in multi-player game

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Neither so Ancient Nor so Potent wrote:Playable on a stored item. Return item to opponent's hand (discard all attached cards). Place this card in opponent's marshalling point pile. Though it had been made in Imladris for Valandil, it was neither so ancient nor so potent as the one lost with King Isildur at the Gladden Fields.-Kuduk Lore
The card may be played on a player's stored item. Right?
Where in such case it should be placed in multi-player game? In which player's MP pile?
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

In the pile of the player whose item is returned.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

My previous post is unclear.
Player plays the card on its own stored item. His MP pile is not "opponent's marshalling point pile".
He has multiple opponents.
And I forgot to ask: to hand of which opponent the item is returned?
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

My goodness me. Now I'm trying to work out if there's any possible advantage to putting one of your cards in your opponent's deck . . . :)

I would then say the pile and the hand of the person against whom you currently play hazards. Your "resource-opponent," as it were.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Bandobras Took wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 12:31 pm My goodness me. Now I'm trying to work out if there's any possible advantage to putting one of your cards in your opponent's deck . . . :)
Maybe there is not. But someone may desperately need to release the card from his hand, and need to do it legally.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Plus: it may give a bigger chance of successfully using Riddling Talk in next player's turn.
CDavis7M

Konrad Klar wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:42 am My previous post is unclear.
Player plays the card on its own stored item. His MP pile is not "opponent's marshalling point pile".
He has multiple opponents.
And I forgot to ask: to hand of which opponent the item is returned?
You can't play a targeted hazard on your own resource in your play area.
This is mentioned in "2 • The Cards and Decks" when discussing where cards are played. Also, playing hazards against yourself is not playing hazards on/against the opponent's company.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

What about Muster Disperses on own faction?
What about Twilight as hazard on own resource card?
Is a playing Muster Disperses against any company; is a faction an entity associated with company?

Regardless of (1).
CRF, Rulings by Term, Stored, Stored Cards wrote:Stored cards are not considered to be in play, except for uniqueness.
Neither so Ancient Nor so Potent explicitly supersedes the rule; is played on a card not in play.
CDavis7M

Konrad Klar wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:33 pm What about Muster Disperses on own faction?
What about Twilight as hazard on own resource card?
Is a playing Muster Disperses against any company; is a faction an entity associated with company?
No. Possible. No; no. "You may not play your hazards on your side of the playing surface."
Konrad Klar wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:33 pm Regardless of (1).
CRF, Rulings by Term, Stored, Stored Cards wrote:Stored cards are not considered to be in play, except for uniqueness.
Neither so Ancient Nor so Potent explicitly supersedes the rule; is played on a card not in play.
Neither so Ancient Nor so Potent overcomes the rule against targeting cards not in play. But still cannot be played on your own resource. No Escape From My Magic avoids both issues.

This was kind of related to the other "not in play" discussion.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

CDavis7M wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:04 pm "You may not play your hazards on your side of the playing surface."
Why I may play Twilight (as hazard in M/H phase) on my Gates of Morning and I may not play Muster Disperses on my Hillmen?
CDavis7M

Twilight can be played as a resource or a hazard but even since METW Limited it's given an exception to the rules. In the rules on Environments in the Companion its said to be "special". Twilight would not even be played in your own play area. I see no issue.

But Hillmen is your MP resource in your play area and Muster Disperses is a hazard that would be played in your play area on it. Hazards cannot be played in your play area. There are also many game design reasons why this is the case but people seem to not like to hear about these.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

What about Trouble on All Borders? Cannot be played on own faction?
CDavis7M

Konrad Klar wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:26 pm What about Trouble on All Borders? Cannot be played on own faction?
Trouble on All Borders is "Playable on a unique faction in play" and the effect affects "any company". It affects the opponent too. I don't see why it wouldn't work on your own faction with this wording even though I would expect to see such a hazard played in the neutral zone between players.

"Hazards may only be played on a company whose movement/hazard phase is being resolved, or on the site they are moving to. Long-events and permanent-events may effect more than one company even though they are only played “on” one company." This makes sense with Trouble on All Borders but not for Muster Disperses.

Muster Disperses is not necessarily played "on/against" the opponent's company but surely the "Playable on a faction" wording overcomes this requirement. Though I don't see how the wording of Muster Disperses would let you play it against your own faction, especially given the rule about playing not playing hazards in your play area.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

CDavis7M wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:01 pm Trouble on All Borders is "Playable on a unique faction in play" and the effect affects "any company". It affects the opponent too. I don't see why it wouldn't work on your own faction with this wording even though I would expect to see such a hazard played in the neutral zone between players.
Lidless Eye wrote:Note: Because hazard cards are distinct from resource cards, you may not play your hazards on your side of the playing
surface. At the end of a game, it will be obvious whose cards are whose, i.e., hazards in your area must belong to your
opponent. We suggest adopting a neutral zone between each player's side of the playing surface. Non-targeted longevents
and permanent-events can be played in this neutral zone.
So what is the thing you are speaking about?
Is the note about targeting or is about organization of cards on table?
There is a suggestion that does not talk about short-events at all.
Some short-event have targets, some do not have, but they do not stay on table. After resolution and execution they are discarded.
CDavis7M

Short-events get discarded yes, but they are still "played" in some play area.

Hazards are played against your opponent's companies and they are played on the opponent's play area or in the neutral zone.

Muster is not played against a particular company but would have an affect against the opponent's faction resource. And it is played on the opponent's play area.

If Trouble on All Borders is played on your own faction, it is still "played against" your opponent since it would affect their companies.

But playing Neither So Ancient Nor Potent on your own resource meets neither requirement. It is not played against the opponent or their companies or in their play area. It's being played in your play area against yourself. This is not allowed by the rules nor the card's own text and there are requirements in the rules which are not met.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”