Anti-One Ring hazards

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

It seems that most players going for a dunk win don't test for The One Ring until they are at Mount Doom, and then they try to test for the ring and play Cracks of Doom in the same turn.

So how do anti-One Ring hazards ever see play? Are these cards worthless: The Precious, The Will of the Ring, The Ring Will Have But One Master, etc?

I had thought that it might work to play The Will of the Ring (for example) on-guard at Mt. Doom and reveal it once The One Ring comes into play. However, there is a CRF that states:
A successful ring test does not allow an on-guard card to be revealed.
Furthermore, The Will of the Ring would not have been legally playable during the M/H phase since The One Ring wasn't yet in play, so it violates that rule.

Any thoughts?
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

that is why I am for the change that the one ring must be moved to Mount Doom, as Bandobras found in some rules ;)

btw these work pretty well vs. non wizard opponent's like FW, Lords and minions, all none dunk ;)

yours Nicolai
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

The game ends when one of the following occurs during play:

If your Wizard is "eliminated" (i.e., through combat or corruption)-your opponent wins.
If you move The One Ring to Mount Doom and play certain cards-The One Ring is destroyed and you win.
Otherwise, the winner is decided at the Free Council.
Nobody plays this way, but that's the rule.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
bosquet

Well, it has sense. Nobody would go to Mount Doom with a ring that maybe, and just maybe, is the One Ring.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

But if The One Ring has been acquired in result of influence attempt or CvCC at Mount Doom, a moving company back and forth does not make (thematic) sense.

In past I have not treated the text as rule, but as description. Similarly to:
Lidless Eye wrote:Any gold ring in one of your companies at Barad-dûr at the start of the end-of-turn phase is automatically tested. Any ring test at Barad-dûr has a -3 modification.
If you store a gold ring, it is automatically tested with a modification of -2.
If to treat the text as rule then any gold ring test at minion Barad-dûr would be modified by -6 (-3 by rule, -3 by Barad-dûr text).
Gold rings stored at Carn Dûm would be tested with modifier - 4 (-2 by rule, -2 by Carn Dûm's text).

Texts of Cracks of Doom and Gollum's Fate do not check for history of The One Ring.

If problem is that it makes The Precious, The Will of the Ring, The Ring Will Have But One Master less usable then a proper way to address the problem is creating an errata to Cracks of Doom and Gollum's Fate.
Namely replacing the first occurrence of "The One Ring" by "The One Ring moved here by your company" in texts of both cards.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

@Konrad: That is a problem with the text and rules of MELE, but it has nothing to do with the question at hand.
Influencing With an Agent
During your opponent's movement/hazard phase, certain cards and special abilities allow your agents to attempt to influence allies, factions, followers, and characters. After an influence attempt, the agent remains face-up and in play.

To influence an ally, follower, or character, the agent must be at the new site for the target or at the target's current site if the company did not move. To influence a faction, the agent must be at the site at which the faction is playable.
Can I use Good Sense Revolts to make an influence check if I am not at the correct site according to this rule?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Bandobras Took wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 2:52 pm Can I use Good Sense Revolts to make an influence check if I am not at the correct site according to this rule?
If target agent is not at the correct site then no.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Why not? As I understand it, this rule is merely descriptive. Good Sense Revolts needs to have the text "If the Agent is at the proper site," correct? Otherwise, it is not checking for the location of the agent.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

The rule does not duplicate any condition written on any "influence" cards for agents.
Therefore the rule is not descriptive.

But you are right.
"If you move The One Ring to Mount Doom and play certain cards-The One Ring is destroyed and you win."
does not duplicate any condition written in texts of Cracks of Doom and Gollum's Fate.

I did noticed it before but the rule does not say that The One Ring must be at Mount Doom. The rule says only that The One Ring must be moved by you (whatever the "you" means) to Mount Doom. "The One Ring is at Mont Doom" is condition of the cards.

P.S.
You win!

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”