New to the game and have some questions.

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:58 pm Can the alternative effect of Drowning Seas (target company must immediately return to its site of origin) be played on any company irregardless of whether it has a a coastal sea in its site path? Only the first effect specifies the coastal sea as a prerequisite, but it seems implied for both effects
CRF, Rulings by Term, Active Conditions wrote:If an "alternative" or "additional" effect does not have any "playable ..." conditions,
then the "playable on ..." conditions from the primary effect of the card apply. The
following cards are exceptions to this rule:
• Gloom
• Good Sense Revolts
• Half an Eye Open
• Heedless Revelry
• Here is a Snake
• In the Name of Mordor
• Inner Cunning
• Nobody's Friend
• Withdrawn to Mordor
• Wolf-riders
DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:58 pm If you only have one company in play, in this case, does that mean that a card like Gates of Morning or Smoke Rings cannot be played for the rest of the turn? Or would either technically be playable during the end-of-turn phase? I don't know why anyone would wait to play either card until then, but for the sake of example, its good to know.
A cards like Gates of Morning or Smoke Rings may be played even if player does not have a character (so also does not have a company) in play, so I do not see a reason to treat a playing of them as a company's activity.
My answer is: they can be played during site phase even if a company may not do anything.
However Official Rulings Digest #105 states otherwise.
Official Rulings Digest #105 wrote:I am overturning this ruling in CoE digest 14:
---
"9. When a card such as River or Lost in Free Domains is played which
states that "it [the company] may do nothing at the site during its site
phase," does this mean the player can't even play permanent events like,
say, Gates of Morning? The rationale for the question was that the
company isn't doing it: it's not a card that uses a character's skill or
something a character is attempting to play. However, (and I didn't
remember this reasoning during the game) I don't think even perm events
like Gates would be allowed because nothing can be played in the site
phase unless the company enters the site, and the company can't do this
because it "may do nothing." But this wouldn't prevent the player from
playing said events during the end of turn phase, right?
*** The "company" may do nothing during the site phase. Nothing stops
the player from playing cards that don't require the company in any way
such as Gates of Morning but you can always play that during the end of
turn phase so it's moot."
---
*** This is incorrect. If a company is forced to do nothing during a
site phase, the site phase for that company is wholly skipped. There is
no opportunity to play anything.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

That ruling is incorrect.
Site Phase
In the order you decide (i.e., you decide which goes first, second, etc.), each of your companies may:
· do nothing or
· follow this procedure:
Companies that must do nothing during the site phase still have a site phase in which they must do nothing (i.e. they must take the first option). It is not skipped.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
DuncanNeeds2Shave

I'm reading a lot of conflicting things...I'll rephrase the question...

May I, the player, play Gates of Morning during my end of turn phase? or is the end of turn phase simply discard a card (optional) and draw up or down to eight and NOTHING else?
DuncanNeeds2Shave

(27) Wait, time out! I'm allowed to play wolf-riders strictly as a short event to increase prowess and strikes of a wolf attack and I can ignore the prerequisite for following an orc attack? Seriously? Is that even real? I'm building a wolves hazard scheme right now...
Last edited by DuncanNeeds2Shave on Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:42 am May I, the player, play Gates of Morning during my end of turn phase?
Yes.
DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:56 am Wait, time out! I'm allowed to play wolf-riders strictly as a short event to increase prowess and strikes of a wolf attack and I can ignore the prerequisite for following an orc attack?
As short-event the Wolf-riders does not have a condition "following any Orc attack not keyed to a site".
DuncanNeeds2Shave

(28) 1. If on the first turn I play The Will of Sauron along with Scorba Ahunt and Snowstorm (for example), and for whatever reason, five or six turns go by with The Will of Sauron remaining in play, if my opponent or myself somehow cancels The Will of Sauron at this point, when do Scorba Ahunt and Snowstorm leave play? Is it immediately? End of turn? My next long event phase? My opponent's next long event phase?

(29) 2. Can Return of the King be played on Strider, or must it be played only on Aragorn II?

(30) 3. May I replace a Star Glass with Phial of Galadriel during the organization phase, or must I wait until the site phase?

(31) 4. If I have Galadriel at Lorien, my hand size is therefore 9. If I choose to move Galadriel, at what point does my hand size revert back to 8? In other words, it is confusing at the end of the movement hazard phase whether I am supposed to draw up or down to 8 or 9 since technically I thought Galadriel's current site remains Lorien until she reaches her new site at the beginning of the site phase.

(32) 5. If a character is in the same company as the minor item Miruvor, and that character fails a strike against an attack, can the Miruvor be discarded before the body check roll is made to boost his body by 2, or must the Miruvor be discarded before the strikes are resolved?

(33) 6.If I am currently at Wellinghall and it is tapped, and then my play deck is exhausted while I am still at Wellinghall, does Wellinghall untap?
Last edited by DuncanNeeds2Shave on Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

1) Long Events leave when Will does.

2) Only on Aragorn II.

3) Strictly speaking, it must be played during the site phase, and taps the site, to boot.

4) The first time you resolve hand size after Galadriel is no longer at Lorien, you no longer get the bonus. As soon as she begins moving to a new site during the movement/hazard phase, she is no longer considered to be at Lorien.

5) Miruvor may be discarded before the body check is rolled.

6) No. Only the sites which are returned to your site deck will be able to come into play untapped.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Bandobras Took wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:47 am 5) Miruvor may be discarded before the body check is rolled.
And not in response to body check.
DuncanNeeds2Shave

I'm back at it, and have more questions!

1. For clarification, if a hazard creature specifies target "character," then an ally may not be the target, correct? For example: assassin cannot target Gwaihir

2. When using Thror's Map, after the site is untapped, must the player face the automatic attack again to play a second resource/item card?

3. Since Dragon's Desolation allows a "dragon" to be played at [-me_rl-] , does that mean that for instance Smaug could be played at Tolfalas? Would it allow Earcaraxe to be played at Gold Hill? Or is this only for generic dragons (if there are any???). Also, the site must contain a wilderness in its site path, even if region movement is being used, regardless of whether a wilderness was traversed?

4. If both The Moon is Dead and Plague of Wights are in play at the same time, how are the number of strikes and total prowess calculated? Does it depend on which card was played first.

5. And I'll be damned if I can remember what my other question was. I always do that! :x
DuncanNeeds2Shave

5. If I play an item such as Phial or Gold Belt at Lorien, Lorien taps (right?), but does it untap during my next untap phase? How does tapping and untapping work with havens?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

1) Allies count as characters for purposes of combat (including assigning a strikes), so strikes from Assassin may be assigned to Gwaihir.

2) If in the same turn the automatic-attack has been faced (when company entered the site), or if condition of facing the automatic-attack has been fulfilled in other method (e.g. by Burglary card), then no.

3) Yes, the dragons may be played at the sites (sometimes with help of Doors of Night). "Generic dragons" exist in a references; they are dragons not specified closely. A site must contain wilderness in its site path. Whether company moves to the site, or stays here, or what has in its site path (if moves), does not matter for playability of Dragon allowed by Dragon's Desolation.

4) Bonuses that the cards give are treated as actions caused by passive condition. Passive condition here is a facing an attack of Undead. Player proceeding his turn decides an order of declarations of the actions. Which of two cards has been played first does not matter.

5) You are not damned (yet).

5) Site (haven, or not) cards do not untap automatically in untap phase.
Haven taps according to the same conditions as non-haven.
DuncanNeeds2Shave

Thanks again! You're always very helpful.

Follow up to the last question: Okay, so havens do not untap as characters do. However, as I am aware, when a tapped site is departed, it goes to the discard pile. Any number of havens may be kept in the site deck. If Lorien is tapped, my company leaves, may I return to Lorien (untapped) the following turn? Thanks!
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

DuncanNeeds2Shave wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:06 pmOkay, so havens do not untap as characters do. However, as I am aware, when a tapped site is departed, it goes to the discard pile. Any number of havens may be kept in the site deck. If Lorien is tapped, my company leaves, may I return to Lorien (untapped) the following turn? Thanks!
Tapped non-Haven sites go to the discard pile if you don't leave anyone behind. Tapped (or untapped) Haven sites go back to your location deck. So yes, you may always return to any Haven on a subsequent turn and it is untapped.

Furthermore, a more complicated tactic which is occasionally debated.... if you have a single company at a tapped haven, you may split the company and use a new (untapped) haven card from your location deck to represent one of the companies (of your choice). Then you can leave one company behind at a now untapped Haven and discard the tapped version. :?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

the Jabberwock wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:58 pm Then you can leave one company behind at a now untapped Haven and discard the tapped version. :?
I would say: Then you can leave one company behind at a now untapped Haven and return to a location deck the tapped copy.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

@ Konrad -

Yes, sorry, that’s what I meant. :D

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”