Detainment attacks

Any rule erratum or clarification submission for the upcoming 2019 ARV should be posted here.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Lidless Eye, Starter Rules, Combat , Detainment Attacks wrote:Certain attacks detain targets rather than wound them. When a strike from a detainment attack is successful, an untapped target is tapped instead of being wounded. This represents the target being stopped and questioned. The following types of attacks are detainment attacks:

Card text will sometimes state that an attack is a detainment attack.
Any Nazgûl attack against a minion company is a detainment attack.
Any attack keyed to Dark-domain, Shadow-hold, or Dark-hold is a detainment attack.
Any Orc, Troll, Undead, or Man attack keyed to Shadow-land is a detainment attack.

The parameters above apply if the attack is keyed to the region symbol or site symbol (by type) or if keyed to a region or site by name which happens to be of the appropriate type (i.e. has the appropriate symbol).
Literally this means that except any Nazgûl attack, it is irrelevant who faces other types of detainment attacks. Text of "attack" card may specify its own conditions. But for 3rd and 4th types of detainment attacks it seems odd that a non-minion company should face them as a detainment.

I propose the following erratum:

"Certain attacks detain targets rather than wound them. When a strike from a detainment attack is successful, an untapped target is tapped instead of being wounded. This represents the target being stopped and questioned. The following types of attacks are detainment attacks:

Any attack keyed to Dark-domain, Shadow-hold, or Dark-hold against a minion company is a detainment attack.
Any Orc, Troll, Undead, or Man attack keyed to Shadow-land against a minion company is a detainment attack.

The parameters above apply if the attack is keyed to the region symbol or site symbol (by type) or if keyed to a region or site by name which happens to be of the appropriate type (i.e. has the appropriate symbol)."
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

The rules are bulleted. They don't apply to Wizards and their companies.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Good point (then "against a minion company" in phrase "Any Nazgûl attack against a minion company is a detainment attack." is redundant).
Because there is very similar rule in Balrog Summary (albeit without "against a minion company") and because non-minion player's companies may face a detainment attacks, I propose the following erratum:

"Certain attacks detain targets rather than wound them. When a strike from a detainment attack is successful, an untapped target is tapped instead of being wounded. This represents the target being stopped and questioned. The following types of attacks are detainment attacks:

Any attack keyed to Dark-domain, Shadow-hold, or Dark-hold against a minion company is a detainment attack.
Any Orc, Troll, Undead, or Man attack keyed to Shadow-land against a minion company is a detainment attack.

The parameters above apply if the attack is keyed to the region symbol or site symbol (by type) or if keyed to a region or site by name which happens to be of the appropriate type (i.e. has the appropriate symbol).

The rule applies to all players, regardless of their alignment"
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

The Balrog summary also states that its points apply only to minion companies, and how to handle attacks for hero companies. FWs have their own rules for detainment in the case of their overt companies.

I'm not certain what necessity there is.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
grad72

I don't understand these:

- If I play an hazard creature detainment attack on a already TAPPED character, does the attack resolve normally (i.e. wound, body check) or not?

- If I play vanilla METW deck against vanilla MELE deck, should I put some MELE hazard creature cards with * in METW deck, in order to let him gather kill marshalling points?

Thanks
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Successful strike from detainment attack against already tapped character does not wound him.

Players are not obliged to include hazard creature cards with * in their decks, or sideboards.
grad72

Thanks.
If I well understood, an example please:

I play an orc/troll hazard creature from METW set on a minion character:

1- if a detainment (i.e. keyed to a shadow land or dark hold) and defeats minion, character is tapped or nothing happens if was already tapped ?
2- if not a detainment (i.e keyed to wilderness) and minion defeats it, it could only keep card as trophy ?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

1) Yes.
2) Yes. Or it is placed in out-of-play pile of winner.
grad72

Thanks a lot. All clear now.
CDavis7M

Bandobras Took wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:12 pm The rules are bulleted. They don't apply to Wizards and their companies.
I agree with this.

These rules bulleted and are found in the 7 · COMBAT section of the Starter Rules. The starter rules also note - "Note: These rules apply to a Ringwraith player playing a Ringwraith player. See Part IV (page 44) for guidelines for handling a game between a Ringwraith and a Wizard."

When looking at Part IV USING MELE WITH METW, there is nothing to be found about such attacks being detainment.

I don't disagree with the proposal but it is unnecessary.

Return to “2019 Annual Rules Vote - Submissions”