CoE 2019-2021 Elections - Nominate Yourself Here!

Announcements & discussion of CoE related issues.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Hello everyone!

As previously announced, in March we will seat a new Council of Elrond for the 2019-2021 term. This topic is now open to anyone who is interested in being a member of the 2019-2021 Council. If you have an interest in serving MECCG as an acting Council Member, please:

- Make a post in this topic introducing yourself and tell us something about your past involvement with MECCG and how you see yourself being involved in the future. Please make sure to read our current Charter found here prior to posting.

If anyone has questions for a candidate, please ask them in this topic and the candidate may respond here. For all other questions or posts that are not a candidate nomination or a question for a specific candidate, please post them in this sister topic: https://councilofelrond.org/forum/viewt ... 118&t=3515

Our Council needs forward-thinking individuals who have a passion and love for MECCG! If this is you and you have some amount of time to contribute, please consider nominating yourself!

Leading Forward,

Gavin aka "the Jabberwock", acting Council Chairman
nico21000

Hi,

I don't know which of my skills could be useful here and what seat might better fit, so I'll just list here the more interesting pro/cons :
  • Love for Tolkien work, especially all Middle-Earth related material, even if I didn't read much in the last 10 years.
  • Love for MECCG, but as a piece of art rather than a game.
  • Spare time, although limited.
  • Graphics and composition skills for creating new cards (templates design in progress for an eventual remaster still to be announced).
  • Involvement in long projects :
    • Unofficial Skyrim Patches since 2012 (bugs tracking and fixing, mainly 3D objects, textures, misplaced references) and translation/adaptation for the french community.
    • The Dark Eye : Memoria, french translation patch (second reading, improving and fixing all issues from the first rough translation patch).
    • Job in real life in aircraft overhaul : airworthiness/quality insurance (sensible, exhaustive and incredibly complex job). ~4 months/year abroad with no possibility to work for anything related to 'hobbies'.
    • I started to learn violin a little bit more than 1 year ago, and at 43 it's an incredible challenge and ungrateful task. Progress is so slow ! But no matter, I've seen worse ! :D
rezwits
Council Member

HI ALL!

I would like to nominate myself this year for a spot on the Council, to actually be a Council Member.

I got my roots with MECCG back in 1995 and even earlier with ICE back in 1985. Around 2005, I started getting really heavy into the forums on the net checking in here and there and trying to get enough in me to actually give up Magic the Gathering. Then Around 2013, with the 1st Hobbit Movie, I said I am going to get this collection built, and the 2nd Movie, a 2nd set and the 3rd Movie a 3rd set, for a full player's set.

I have always admired the Council and the Members thinking "That's true dedication and commitment." Something I didn't have back in 2005-2013. I slowly built my collection and really never had anyone to play with, which had really been a bummer, but I kept studiying the rules. I often played solo and felt I wasn't really worthy enough to be a Council Member so I never pursued this.

I told myself unless I can actually make some kind of offering or donation of sorts how could I even consider myself to be a Council Member. So back in 2016 while playing Netrunner I was playing on jinteki.net and I said, "Man this could easily be used as the de-facto platform for MECCG." Then I thought if I was to create a gaming platform using my programming skills and offer this up as a token of dedication and let others like myself who have a hard time finding someone to play with, then I could even go so far as to give running on the council a shot!

I have been going over the rules, over and over since 1995. My playing experience was cut short around the end of MEDM (Dark Minions). As I figured there was no way ICE could even come close to doing something like MELE with Avatars for the NINE. I didn't find out about MELE till around 2000-2001-ish when a friend of mine had a MELE Gold Starter Box, and I was shocked they actually did MELE. I knew my end game was going to be MECCG.

To cut this short I feel my areas of interest would definitely benefit:

Web Based Initiatives
and
Dream Cards (as a Hobby initiative)

I would like to do some Rules Oversight too, but I feel I need to start working on just general ARV submissions, unless the DC guys are just too tight to have me fit in. :D I have a Dream Card project I am working on that I want to use and then make the move to Rules.
If I make the council I will continue working on MECCG and make cardnum.net the de-facto platform for the Council of Elrond.
I will also continue to study the rules extensively until I feel like I can transition from Dreamcards to Rules Oversight.
If I can I will also try to promote the game at my local shop.
As far as the RULES and BIAS. Honestly, I have only one BIAS, and I will admit this:

I would love for Ringwraiths to be stronger, and to be able to keep up with a straight Wizard (Hero) deck. But I feel in Standard MECCG, ICE really, really did such a great job, keeping the Ringwraiths slightly underpowered, you might find that depressing but read on.

As I find myself playing and TRYING ever so hard, focusing on RW decks, I am seeing "secrets" in the design of the game, that is KEEPING me here STAYING PUT with the game, I am not going anywhere. Because one of the genius design aesthetics is you have 9 Ringwraiths and the puzzle/challenge is to make a deck for each Ringwraith that is fully capable and at a minimum ON PAR with a Wizard Deck. And it's actually fine that the Wizards are for the most part just enough stronger (Saruman not being a Warrior kinda hurts tho, haha). But Not to mention your playing expertise has to develop to pilot a RW Deck also.

But in closing, I have extensive gaming experience with:

Magic (now retired, from 1993 to 2013, 12 years scattered playing off and on)

Vampire: The Eternal Struggle (1995 to current, only 5-7 solid years playing)

MECCG (2-3 solid years in the beginning,
and then 100% researching from 2005
then w/solo & GCCG play from 2013 to current)

then Android: Netrunner (now retired, from 2013 to 2017)

I don't veer far from the core and am wanting to retire on these two last platforms. I feel these are structurally the best mathematically FIT game engines out there. And they come from some of the best game designers in the "Role Playing Gaming eras" of the 80s and 90s.

I feel most games WISH they could have a back bone like MECCG and VTES. I mean don't get me wrong sometimes you might look at the MECCG rulebook and go "This is too complicated" but as I was recently telling a friend "Have you ever looked at a Basketball rulebook? or Football rulebook?" You might say these are easy games too, but when it comes to being technical they are pretty complex in earnest.

Finally in summary:

I would like to nominate myself:

Thomas Aldershof II (rezwits)

as: COUNCIL MEMBER

I invite you to check out cardnum.net
and would sincerely appreciate your VOTE!

Happy New Year!!! and may this year be a blast for gaming in general!!
As of 4/3/21 4:03:21
my current rulings foundation is based on:
All of the rules and rulings found in these PDFs at:
https://cardnum.net/rules
If you have other collected rulings that are not
listed please feel free to email them or PM me...
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

I would also like to nominate myself for another session.
As in previous years my goal is to support the MECCG community by maintaining the annual Lure of MECCG, as well as supporting any future organisers of Worlds (if needed).
Thats basically it, thanks ;-)
Logain
Ex Council Member

I'm also interested in continuing the work we do.

I was a top french player 15-20 years ago (3 french finals, european vice-champion in 2001...) but never was as good as German or Spanish top players.
I organized french events in the north of France where i played with Treebeard at that time, and still organize a june event in Paris (foreigners welcome).
When i was first elected 15 years ago, the other council members did not want dream cards nor erratas so there wasn't much to do to improve the game, and i stopped the game serveral years. But then i came back some 7 years ago thanks to Treebeard, and now some things change for the good, that's a nice thing, and i'm in love with Nico & Eric's awesome work.

I'd like to propose discussions on the Meccg v2 rules that were never published, but who had some good ideas, and see if we can issue some rule changes, or not.
For example, v2 proposed to play the new site for a company at start of its movement / hazard phase instead of organization phase.
A small change that solves a rule problem we have discussed somewhere (i have to find it back), it quickens play, it is less lethal as second company can adjust site path versus a long event hazard like a dragon manifestation long event, and it allows recto verso printing for sites.

See you at 2019's Lure !
Nero
Ex Council Member

I would like to nominate myself for a seat as a Council Member. Here is a little background, both professionally and in terms of MECCG.

I live in the United States and am 35 years old. As an introduction to CCGs, I started playing MtG when I was about 10, but sold all of my cards when I went to college. I started playing MECCG immediately when The Wizards Limited was first available in my hometown in 1995 and have stuck with it ever since, growing my collection into a full playset of all cards since that time. It is difficult to find players wherever I have moved, but I would absolutely never give up and when necessary I try to teach my new friends how to play using my cards. I also helped a little bit with the two dreamcard sets by creating vector images of some of the icons. A very minor contribution compared to what others have done, but I was very pleased to be able to help.

Professionally, I am a creative manager in marketing and communications for the non-profit Research Foundation at Purdue University. In my department our team handles the promotion of patents developed through scientific research at the university and a range of other functions. I have a great deal of experience translating highly technical language to easily understood terms for large, diverse audiences. I do a lot of graphic design, video production, and photography. Previously, I worked as a project manager for the advertising department of a $400 million clothing retailer, largely managing digital asset management databases, writing system specifications for new code and database functionality then working with developers to execute and test the results.

I have a Masters of Fine Arts in Electronic and Time Based Art from Purdue University and am a photographer on the side in addition to my regular job. My wife is a research scientist in orthopedics at Johnson & Johnson.

If elected, I would prefer not to be on the Rules Committee. Their work is incredibly important and valuable to the game, but I don't think that my strengths are the best fit for the ROC. My primary goals would be (1) to expand the player base (both online and real-world) through outreach and development/design of better materials for beginners to learn, (2) facilitate the production of the next dreamcards set in any way possible, and (3) help continue to build/revise the cardnum system, which I see as the future of recruiting new players to the game.

One potential downside to my nomination is that I do travel extensively, which makes my free time complicated. In the past 18 months I've been in Ireland (during the Beast from the East storm), Canada, Mexico, Japan, Peru, Norway, Hungary, and the Republic of Georgia in addition to probably half of the states in the US. There are blocks of time when I'm simply unavailable.

However, I am organized and I think of this work as a team-based process where my only goal is to contribute my skills to move things forward.
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Hello friends,

I like to do another turn,

I am helpingwhere ever RL and my family allows me too,

dream cards is of course a big thing (also there is only so much 2 people can do, so Eric and I would like to get more people on board there), but after MENE there needs to be thorough playtesting of any future sets . . .

so I am helping out Thomas on his cardnum project which whatever is needed that isn't programming, which will increase the online players community as well as us being able to playtest dream cards much more effectivly

I am also one of the admins for the FB group and give hints and sparks there

all of these I jobs I like to continue for another turn

also I have not missed a LURE yet ;)

yours Nicolai aka Vastor Peredhil a Aerfaroth
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Thanks to all thus far who have made a post offering themselves up for nomination!

So that we can move along properly with seating a new Council, I will be closing this topic in 1 week from now on Tuesday, March 19th. If any of you have been intending to make a post, please do so by Tuesday the 19th.

Thank you!
Fangorn
Ex Council Member

Hi Mellons !

I would like to nominate myself to seat at the Council of Elrond.

I'm living in Nantes (west of France), but my home site is Compiègne (80 km in the north of Paris).
I did all my studies in Lille (north of France) where I played MeCCG from 1995 to 2000.
Ernst/Logain taught me the game and MeCCG became thus my favorite game (what a scoop !).

I came back to the game thanks to Dominique/Darksatin in 2006, participate at my only Worlds at Antwerpen in 2007.
The revelation was my first Lure in 2009, feeled like a pilgrimage in Middle-earth.
I discovered at Lure the cool Hamburger Scenarios and the amazing DreamCards !
I indeed always play thematically and was never a competitive player (from GO point of vue).

The downside of this relevation was the scattered french community, with only 5 active players and no event in France :(
So I decided to build again an active fellowship, slowly in an Ent-like mode :) : animating, coordinating, convincing, teaching, ...
10 years later, France is among the most active countries, with 3 events a year (Nantes, Paris, Lille) gathering between 10 and 15 fellows each time !
I often act as a rule referee during tournaments, not because I'm a rulemaster, but because I perhaps have the most rules knowledge in France ;)

I thus consider my activites suitable for a Council Member, at least in the DreamCards committee :
- Improve scenario game
- Create DC scenarios
- Support and test new DC sets
- Post in-depth decklists (to give new players desire to build decks)
- Support organizing Worlds in France (some rumours are spreading about that)
- Discuss about rules errata, not only clarifications, for example removing the EOT phase

Thanks !
Franck aka Fangorn/Treebeard
Hrum, Hoom ! Do not be hasty, that is my motto.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

greetings Tolkien-fans

As long-time player of meccg (since 1997) and active community member, I would like to nominate myself for another term as member of the Council of Elrond.

In the previous term I was part of the Rules Oversight Committee. We introduced the Annual Rules Vote, and accomplished the long-awaited first issuing of major Official Errata. Some errata were corrections to obvious mistakes on cards, others reflected complex rules issues with potential effects on how the game is played. More importantly, this was a democratic process involving the active meccg community, and as such a big success. I would like to remain part of the ROC to see where this development is going, as we only took the (important) first steps.

Furthermore, as many of you will know, I have been involved in developing and promoting other meccg formats, notably Dream-cards and Arda. Much energy has gone the past years to completing and issuing Middle-earth: The Necromancer (2018). Together with Middle-earth: The Firstborn and Durin's Folk (First Folk, 2014), the Dream-card Setting and game is now firmly established. All alignments have new and balanced opportunities to create cool and successful decks. We will take a break from issuing new cards, and focus on promoting play and play-testing, through Thomas' new online platform Carnum, and creating a big database of DC decks.

Lastly, I hosted (together with Mark Alfano) Worlds 2018, at the Assumburg Castle in The Netherlands; a very enjoyable and successful tournament in which the first ever Overall World Champion MECCG was pronounced!

hoping to count on your support,
yours faithfully
Eric Dane
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

Hi everyone,
I'd like to become part of next term's CoE, too.
I've been an player and collector of the game since it started. I'm mostly interested in casual games, nowadays, but with some interest in rules and clarifications. (I've been providing a German list of the current errata and games rules for a couple of years). Apart from that, I'll be supporting any efforts to facilitate players' connections, like, e.g. the players' base on this site.
Cheers, Christoph
Last edited by Khamul the Easterling on Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

I don't want to influence the voting in any way, but I do would like to remark that, in my opinion, people who want to be elected should be known to the community by more than just their online Nickname.
Yes online presence is almost primary nowadays (in meccg), still it is important, or at least a common courtesy, to know who's who exactly.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
CDavis7M

Nero wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:55 pm One potential downside to my nomination is that I do travel extensively, which makes my free time complicated. In the past 18 months I've been in Ireland (during the Beast from the East storm), Canada, Mexico, Japan, Peru, Norway, Hungary, and the Republic of Georgia in addition to probably half of the states in the US. There are blocks of time when I'm simply unavailable.
Where have you been?

Return to “Council Business”