Wizard's Trove

Any rule erratum or clarification submission for the upcoming 2019 ARV should be posted here.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

WIZARDʹS TROVE ‐ Permanent‐event (R)
[SP: 1]
You may play The White Tree at one of your Wizardhavens [ [-me_ha-] ] if Sapling of the White Tree is stored there. Place Wizardʹs Trove with The White Tree ‐ which is worth full marshalling points. Your Wizardhaven [ [-me_ha-] ] becomes protected. Ignore the text of The White Tree.
Alternatively, you may store one miscellaneous marshalling point card at one of your Wizardhavens [ [-me_ha-] ]. Any reference to the site where the card can normally be stored are transferred instead to the Wizardhaven [ [-me_ha-] ]. Place Wizardʹs Trove with the stored card ‐ which is worth full marshalling points.

I propose the following Card Erratum be issued:
WIZARDʹS TROVE ‐ Permanent‐event (R)
[SP: 1]
You may play The White Tree at one of your Wizardhavens [ [-me_ha-] ] if Sapling of the White Tree is stored there. Place Wizardʹs Trove with The White Tree ‐ which is worth full marshalling points. Your Wizardhaven [ [-me_ha-] ] becomes protected. Ignore the text of The White Tree. Discard the stored Sapling of the White Tree.
Alternatively, you may store one miscellaneous marshalling point card at one of your Wizardhavens [ [-me_ha-] ]. Any reference to the site where the card can normally be stored are transferred instead to the Wizardhaven [ [-me_ha-] ]. Place Wizardʹs Trove with the stored card ‐ which is worth full marshalling points.
(bold mine)

Thematically speaking, the Sapling is growing into The White Tree, thus it doesn't make sense for The White Tree and the Sapling which created it to both be in play at the same time. Furthermore, other instances of The White Tree coming into play (not using Wizard's Trove) require a Sapling be discarded.

Reference Topic: None
CDavis7M

I guess this depends on whether Wizard's Trove only modifies the site-playability requirements of White Tree (e.g., it can be played at a wizard haven instead of Minas Tirith), which would still require the sapling to be discarded. OR whether Wizard's Trove lets you "slip it into play" without any requirements of White Tree being checked.

More discussion on Wizard's Trove here: https://councilofelrond.org/forum/viewt ... 145&t=3735

Well, it looks like the "ignore" part also counts for the discarding.
Digest 81 wrote:From: Anders Gabrielsson <and...@strindberg.ling.uu.se>
[White Tree/Wizard's Trove Questions]
>WT says to ignore the text on WT when using WT to play it. Does this
>include the Sage requirement? The discarding of the Sapling?

Yes and yes.
in fact:
>2. Wizard's Trove states: "ignore card text" when refering to The
>White Tree. So, for FW's, The White Tree is not unique, since the
>keyword "unique" is part of the card text. Which of the following
>three examples are legal:

>A. a FW-player has The White Tree in play, another FW-player plays
>one himself
>B. a FW-player has The White Tree in play, a Hero-player plays one
>himself
>C. a Hero-player has The White Tree in play, a FW-player plays one
>himself

All three, assuming the FW is playing the White Tree with Wizard's
Trove in all three cases
Last edited by CDavis7M on Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

CDavis7M wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:53 pm I guess this depends on whether Wizard's Trove only modifies the site-playability requirements of White Tree (e.g., it can be played at a wizard haven instead of Minas Tirith), which would still require the sapling to be discarded. OR whether Wizard's Trove lets you "slip it into play" without any requirements of White Tree being checked.
Indeed, I have played against an opponent who was in favor of the "slip into play" interpretation, which I personally disagree with. I think this should be decided one way or the other.
Theo

CDavis7M wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:53 pm I guess this depends on whether Wizard's Trove only modifies the site-playability requirements of White Tree (e.g., it can be played at a wizard haven instead of Minas Tirith), which would still require the sapling to be discarded. OR whether Wizard's Trove lets you "slip it into play" without any requirements of White Tree being checked.
The relevant reference for "current" CoE interpretation:
CoE #65 wrote: You have in play the Wizard's Trove and you have stored a Sapling. Now
do you have to discard the Sapling if you play the White Tree ?? You
could argue no, becauce the WT's text is ignored(due to the Trove), but
does this still apply if the text is ingnored AFTER the play of the Tree?

*** You do not have to discard the Sapling because Wizard's Trove
provides an alternate means of playing The White Tree, therefore the
playability text on The White Tree is not used.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/

Return to “2019 Annual Rules Vote - Submissions”