POSTPONE 2020 - Memories Recalled

Any rule erratum or clarification submission for the upcoming 2019 ARV should be posted here.
CDavis7M

Playable on a character with a sage in his company. All dark enchantments on target character are discarded.
Alternatively, a sage can tap and you can discard this card from your hand to fulfill the requirement that Lost Knowledge be discarded for any card played with the sage's company.
I could not find any errata or rulings on Memories Recalled. Please let me know if there are any.

Issue: I believe that the alternative effect must be declared and resolved to have effect, but at that point the card will be in play and no longer in your hand to be discarded from there. I don't believe that Memories Recalled can be declared from your hand without playing it on the table. The wording makes sense in normal English, but not within the framework of the game. The alternative effect fails as currently worded.

Proposed Errata:
Playable on a character with a sage in his company. All dark enchantments on target character are discarded.
Alternatively, a sage can tap and you can discard this card from your hand to fulfill the requirement that Lost Knowledge be discarded for any card played with the sage's company.
Unintended Consequences: I am unaware of any.
Last edited by CDavis7M on Wed May 15, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Consequences:
After errata the card is played for second effect, so may be targeted by Many Sorrows Befall etc.
Before errata the card is discarded for second effect, so is immune to Many Sorrows Befall etc.
CDavis7M wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:37 pm I don't believe that Memories Recalled can be declared from your hand without playing it on the table.
Because Memories Recalled is not declared for second effect.
Will Shaken is not declared too, but may cause some results anyway.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
CDavis7M

Thanks for mentioning Will Shaken. It is even further from the realm of the game mechanics. But it seems to make an exception for itself by first saying "this card cannot be played."

Also, I had considered Many Sorrows, but that would be played as a Hazard during M/H phase, while discarding Lost Knowledge would happen during the site phase (possibly organization phase).

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

CDavis7M wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:24 pm Also, I had considered Many Sorrows, but that would be played as a Hazard during M/H phase, while discarding Lost Knowledge would happen during the site phase (possibly organization phase).
so may be targeted by Many Sorrows Befall etc.
May be also targeted by Blind to the West.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
CDavis7M

Konrad, you make good points about unintended consequences. I think there is uncertainty that could be solved by similar language to Will Shaken.

Updated Proposed Errata:
Alternatively, a sage can tap and you can discard this card from your hand (it is not played) to fulfill the requirement that Lost Knowledge be discarded for any card played with the sage's company.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

DECLINED due to author withdrawing submission.

(Note: I am locking this topic at this time for record-keeping purposes)

Return to “2019 Annual Rules Vote - Submissions”