Worlds 2007 - Running Tournament Report(s)

MECCG World Championship discussion forum.
Tythis

zarathustra wrote:Great reports Jon! By the way, I think Ulli and Birk are not married... ;)
well, cute couple in any case and both very nice. Anyone have one of their contact info btw?
- Jonathan Yost (Tythis)
Manuel
Council Chairman

Come on, Mikko using Mordor Shuffle along with roadblock? Lame =P
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Manuel wrote:Come on, Mikko using Mordor Shuffle along with roadblock? Lame =P
He was using the Lieutenant of Dol Guldur? :)
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

Morgul, actually.

I think I have all deck lists from the finals. I'll try to put them up when (i.e if) I get time.
http://www.alfanos.org
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

Mikko doin Mordor Shuffle then Underdeeps shuffle... *waits for Dam to encounter this thread*

I am curious for the decklists, to see the breakdown, after last worlds comment about Balrog overpower.
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
Krista

Congrats Agustin!

And thank you Mark for all your effort in putting this on. I had a great time playing in the Unsung Heroes, Challenge Deck tourny, Hero one-deck and virtual card tourneys. If it hadn't been such a crazy summer for me, I would have tried the semi-finals too.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

congrats to agustin for playing a flawless tourney, and to the other finalists heiner, mikko and charles!
congrats to mark and joe for running a great tourney weekend, and lots of thanks to their hospitality!
i had a lot of fun and i also played my best worlds champ tournament till now.
i played a morannon deck with hobbits and aragorn, lucky searching for some good items using the enruned shield and heading of to minas tirith for some final big points. the wizards company gathers some allies and factions in the northwest.

1. roiund: joel peccioli (?)
i had a very good start with my morannon company, especially because of joel didn´t play any hazards. so while they did their stuff, i waited for my wizard, who showed up rather late. and then joels hand was full with the hazards he needed for permanently roadblocking this company. i sideboarded for promptings of wisdom, but it came rather late, and then i had to decide on which company to play. i chose aragorn and the hobbits, so they made a final turn playing the white tree, return of the king, the faction and to fealty sworn. his allies got doubled and so it ended by 2 points difference 4:2 for joel.

2. round: jon freitag
i do not remember much of this game. maybe because there wasn´t much to remember? i played all my stuff in this game, jons hazard never didn´t any harm to me, while my hazards had a lot of effects. in the end it was 6:0 for me.

3. round: brian min
he played one ring dunk. he went first, so being quick was everything! i didn´t go for morannon this time, instead played an item at the dead marshes, also the sapling, and then off to minas tirith. but: i lost my bilbo in the first turnwhen entering the site. so i had to move annalena to the south, and she also died on the way there. last chance: sending arwen to minas tirith, who finally arrived there right in time to plant the tree.
i didn´t think too much about anti-one ring when building the deck, so i didn´t out the scroll into the sideboard, though i could have easily played this one before the opponent. my wizards company also got some stuff, so i was able to call the council at the end of my 4th turn. at this point he had everything for the dunk, but he was 5 regions away from mount doom (i think it was bandits lair), and no master of esgaroth. so he had to discard his final cram. at this moment i knew i would win, since i had 3 river in my hand and adunaphel in play (and mouth of sauron in my hand), and he had only 3 rangers (wiz, thrain, oin).
as always when there is a dunk deck involved, it was an energy consuming game, but for both of us ;-)
another 6:0, so i was back.

4. round: mikko vihtemaki
now i got to face one of the best players nowadays. also i knew that he knew my deck from GCCG.
mikko played the most boring version of mordor shuffle (with the lidless eye). i played some undead creatures and especially wisp of pale sheen (with the moon is dead in play) did a very good job. while he was pretty slow, i managed to get my MPs quick enough for a 4:2 win.
while everyone knows, that mikko is cheating, i waited for all his evil tricks in vain duirng this game. so maybe that was the reason, why i turned it the other way round and began cheating myself. after the game we had some smalltalk about our decks with mark, and he asked me, how i go from morannon to minas tirith in one turn. i had asumed it´s only for regions, but there is an errata thatmakes clear, that it´s 5. i didn´t know this, and also during many games before worlds nobody ever told me (of course it´s my own repsonsibility to look up the errata lists). anyway: i couldn´t have reached minas tirith in the last turn against mikko, which would have resulted in a totally different MP account.
i remembered i spent the second cram for aragorn when entering the dead marshes. doing it without tapping is a risk, still possible. i also remembered that i didn´t need the second cram that badly in the games before (i always still had it when arriving at minas tirith). so i didn´t feel too bad for myself for cheating, but i really felt bad for mikko, because his chances for advancing to the finals became rather low.

5. round: agustin
MECCG is great fun, but some games are not. this was one of those, because it lasted only 3 turns and i didn´t see much of my deck.
agustin went first and played 2 short rests in the first turn (one fixed with echo of all joy). so he drew masses of cards during all this game and he had everythinh he needed at every moment. while i had no luck with drawing resources, i sideboarded 2 arthedain rangers and drew both of them. so in the last turn i hammered his big compnay with three AR (thaks to mouth of sauron). one was cancelled, 2 came through. i really hoped to kill some of his rather weak characters, taking away some allies as well, but his roll were incredible: not a single character became wounded. so he had enough points and called the council. doubling his allies he won easily 6:0.

i heasrd the mikko won his last game 6:0, exactly what he needed to make it to the finals. i was relieved!
i had 18 TPs in the end, tied with jon yost, who had a better opponents score. that made a 7th place for me. best result till now, so i was happy!

in the evening we played drinking game. i think i had the worst deck ever when playing sealed. heiner saw my desperation and told me, that one can play a minor item just to play rescue prisoners. i think he wanted to be funny, but that was exactly what i had to do! i had 3 rescue prisoners and also enough minor items. alas, i had only one site to play it! THIS IS BULLSHIT!
my only marshalling points were 3 minor rings, the 2 fixed factions, rescue prisoners and a noble hound. also i had only 9 characters in total.
so there was one thing to do: rely on the hazards. and that did work quite well, gaining a tie against kris and a 2:4 loss against jon.
more important: the beer was incredible! it was marks own brew, and after drinking only 3 and a half bottle, i felt more than a little bit dizzy.

while we had a good time playing MECCG, we also had a lot of fun in joes flat with some late poker sessions and other games.
we also did some tourist things. so i came to know, that i like jazz. i learnt a lot about whiskey (in theory as well as in practice). when visiting the statue of liberty, our "guide" (he was very cheap!) told us, that the statue is at ellis island, not at liberty island. well, he has also learnt something about NY this day ;-)
there were a lot of good moments during this weekend, and i was very happy to be among MECCG folk once more.
thanks to all who made this possible, especially mark and joe!
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

Great report, Wolfgang!
thorondor wrote:after the game we had some smalltalk about our decks with mark, and he asked me, how i go from morannon to minas tirith in one turn. i had asumed it´s only for regions, but there is an errata thatmakes clear, that it´s 5.
What errata? :shock:
Never heard of that either. Can´t find anything in the errata list.
You move Udun, Dagorlad, Ithilien, Anorien, correct?
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

Not as a hero.... The black gates are only open to minion players.
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

zarathustra wrote:Not as a hero.... The black gates are only open to minion players.
Alright, I somehow thought that you can not normally move to a site in Udun from Dagorlad but the other way round. But you are right, once you are inside you must walk all the way through Mordor.
Smaug

Hi guys,

First I want to thank Marc and Joe again for organizing this great event. It was big fun to play the words and as well all the side events.
In the evenings we went out to seen some nice restaurants and biergardens (very nice one in Queens, at least as far ads I remember, the beer was too good ) or played some games. Cool ;-)

Congratulations to Augustin, who won the worlds after beeing third last year. He earned to win the deciding head to head final game against me (would have been a real pitty, if he missed the final corrupion check ;-)).
A little bit his luck was, that I had by mistake no Call of Home in my side board and/or that I didn´t draw the girdle of Radagast in my last orga phase, otherwise...you never now.

My next sideboard against FW will definitly contain a stage point enhancer hazard, that is be defasting against Alatar, if you play elfs and Arthedian rangers (that over 7 Stage Points attack normal ;-)

But I did not have any of this cards in my normal sideboard and instead of deck adjustment for the finals I preferred trying to become drinking game world champion (price was a very nice original picture of Baliman) and I managed it ;-)

Congratulations as well to Mikko, who played a draw against Augustin and lost only by few points (4?) against me. May be his mordor squatter was not the strongest deck in the Final, he is for sure one of the best players at the moment and with an other deck ...?!

Charles went 4th, always a little bit frustrating, I know from own experience. My Maya/Elf Lord hazard deck smashed him 6-0, that was really a bad start for the finals.
Charles! You should remember more the very strong semi final you played. Next time it may be better to change your deck for the finals, but you never know, Agustin did not change as well and became Champion ;-)...

I am very satisfied with my result, which means I now reached the finals 3 times in a row (4th, 3rd and 2nd place), wonder what happens next year?

As always, was very hard to reach the Finals. In the last round I needed a 6-0 win against Joe. He was playing a carambor deck (very annoying, just sitting there for half an hour drawing cards and laying them on guard).
I was lucky, that he did not draw the strigident spawn. So I managed to win 6-0.
There were a lot of very strong players in the semifinal on Saturday, that would as well had earned a place on Sunday (for example Joe, Jon, Chris or Wolfgang). Most unlucky was Brian, who managed to dunk 3 times in 5 rounds and ended up with 21 Points like me, but on level 3 (equal wins, no head to head) my opponents scored more points than his.
So I reached the finals, sorry Brian, you would have earned it as well.

See you

Heiner
Darksatin

It seems that the report of the new WC is on the Spanish forum.
Who could translate it ? :|
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

The Finalists' decks:

Agustin's deck
####
Pool
####

# Hero Character (5)

1 Balin
1 Beretar
1 Faramir
1 Glóin
1 Óin

# Hero Resource (2)

2 Cram

# Minion Character (5)

1 Dorelas
1 Gulla
1 Herion
1 Náin
1 Threlin

# Stage Resource (2)

1 Squire of the Hunt
1 Thrall of the Voice

####
Deck
####

# Fallen-wizard Character (3)

3 Alatar [F]

# Hero Character (1)

1 Fram Framson

# Hero Resource (14)

2 A Short Rest
1 Durin's Axe
1 Echo of All Joy
1 Farmer Maggot
1 Glamdring
1 Longbottom Leaf
1 Marvels Told
1 Orcrist
2 Risky Blow
1 Smoke Rings
1 Tom Bombadil
1 Wild Hounds

# Minion Character (1)

1 Baduila

# Minion Resource (13)

1 Bold Thrust
2 Crept Along Cleverly
2 Dark Tryst
1 The Warg-king
2 Voices of Malice
2 War-warg
1 War-wolf
2 We Have Come to Kill

# Stage Resource (3)

1 Great Patron
1 Join the Hunt
1 Wizard's Myrmidon

# Hazard (30)

1 Adűnaphel
2 Alone and Unadvised
2 An Unexpected Outpost
1 Beorning Skin-changers
2 Call of Home (TW)
1 Cave Worm (LE)
3 Cave-drake (TW)
1 Daelomin at Home
1 Foolish Words (TD)
1 Lobelia Sackville-Baggins
1 Mouth of Sauron
2 Rain-drake
1 Revealed to all Watchers
3 River (TW)
1 Rolled down to the Sea
3 Sellswords Between Charters
3 Twilight (TW)
1 Űvatha the Horseman

#########
Sideboard
#########

# Hazard (9)

1 Itangast Ahunt
1 Lost at Sea
1 Lost in Free-domains (TW)
1 Mordor in Arms
1 Muster Disperses (TW)
1 My Precious
1 Pilfer Anything Unwatched
2 Seized by Terror

# Hero Resource (14)

1 A Chance Meeting
2 A Friend or Three
1 And Forth He Hastened
1 Elves of Lindon
2 Gates of Morning
1 Hauberk of Bright Mail
1 Marvels Told
1 Muster
1 The Mithril-coat [H]
1 Vanishment (TW)
1 Wild Hounds
1 Withdrawn to Mordor

# Minion Character (2)

1 Drór
1 Dâsakűn

# Minion Resource (2)

1 Regiment of Black Crows
1 War-wolf

# Stage Resource (3)

2 Mischief in a Mean Way
1 Oromë's Warders

################
Sideboard vs. fw
################

# Hazard (9)

1 Blind to the West
1 Cruel Claw Perceived
1 Fool's Bane
1 Foul Tooth Unsheathed
2 Heart Grown Cold
2 Heedless Revelry
1 Ire of the East

# Minion Character (1)

1 Golodhros

To be continued
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

Heiner's Deck:

FW Deck vs. Heroes
5 Starting Characters
7 Threlin
8 Gulla
9 Nain
10 Gloin
11 Dagger of Westernesse
12 Broin
13 Binding-ring
14 Asternak
15 Balin
16 jerrek
17 Kili
18 ostisen
20 Starting Stage Cards
22 Glove of Radagast
23 Shifter of Hues
25 Characters
27 Radagast x3
28 Oin
29 Galdor
30 Ghan-Buri-Ghan
31 Arwen
32 Annalena
33 Perchen
34 Balin, Asternak and Kili after the draft
37 Resources Difference against
38 gegen Hero Minion/FW
39 An Untimely Brood entkommen
40 Awaiting the Call
41 Barrow Blade
42 Blackbole
43 We Have Come to Kill x2
44 Farmer Maggot
45 Great Patron
46 Hall of Fire x2
47 Hide in Dark Places x2
48 Hinding x2
49 Longbottom Leaf x2
50 Marvels Told x2
51 Radagast's Black Bird
52 Smoke Rings x2
53 The Warg King
54 War-Warg x2
55 War-Wolf x2
56 Wild Hounds entkommen
57 Wild Hounds
58 Wizard's Myrmidon
59 Withdrawn to Mordor
61 Sideboard vs. Hero
63 A Friend or Three
64 Dwarven Light-Stone
65 Girdle of Radagast
66 Great Bats
67 Legacy of Smiths
68 Mitschief in a Mean Way x2
69 Noble Hound
70 Noble Steed
71 Regiment of Black Crows
72 Tom Bombadil
73 Voices of Malice
74 Withdrawn to Mordor
75 Wizards River Horses
76 The way is shut
77 Baduila
78 Call of Home
79 Dror
80 Balrog of Moria
81 Lobelia Sackville-Baggins
82 Stromcrow
83 schreckliche neuigkeiten
84 Pilfer Anything Unwatched
85 My Precious
86 Searching Eye
87 Twisted Tales
88 Many sorrows befault
89 Smaug at hunt
90 Great secrets burried there
91 Seized by terror
93 Hazard Deck vs. Heroes
95 Alone and Unadvised x2
96 An Unexpected Outpost x2
97 Assassin x2
98 Cave Worm x2
99 Rolled down to the sea
100 Dragon-sickness
101 Itangast at Home
102 Lure of Expedience x2
103 Lure of Nature x2
104 Lure of Power
105 Lure of the Senses x2
106 Mouth of Sauron
107 rank upon rank x2
108 Ren the Unclean
109 Sellswords Between Charters x2
110 The Balance of Things
111 Uvatha the Horseman
112 Corsairs of umbar x2
113 Dunlanding Raiders x2
115 Hazard Deck vs. Minions & FW
117 Adunaphel
118 Alatar the Hunter
119 redoubled force 2x
120 Chill them with Fear x3
121 Dwarven Travellers x3
122 Elf-Lord Revealed in Wrath x3
123 Gandalf the White Wizard
124 Heedless Revelry x2
125 Lady of the Golden Wood
126 Master of the House
127 Mouth of Sauron
128 My Precious
129 Pallando the Soul-keeper
130 daelomin at home
131 Returned Beyond All Hope x2
132 arthedain rangers 2x
133 Saruman the Wise
134 Halbtrolle aus Weit-Harad x2
135 Uvatha the Horseman
137 Sideboard vs. Minions & FW
138 A Friend or Three
139 Dwarven Light-Stone
140 Girdle of Radagast
141 Great Bats
142 Legacy of Smiths
143 Mitschief in a Mean Way x2
144 Noble Hound
145 Noble Steed
146 Regiment of Black Crows
147 Tom Bombadil
148 Voices of Malice
149 Withdrawn to Mordor
150 Wizards River Horses
151 The way is shut
152 Baduida
153 Keys to the White Towers
154 Sapling of the White Tree
155 The White Tree
156 Wizard's Trove
157 Ablenkungsmanöver
158 Stench of mordor x2
159 Searching Eye
160 The Way is Shut
161 Unhappy blows
162 Power build by waiting
163 Heedless Revelry
164 An Untimely Brood
165 Wild Hounds
170 vs. FW (10)
171 Neither so ancient nor so potent
172 Ivic
173 Dror
174 Lobelia Sackville Baggins
175 Pilfer Anything Unwatched
176 Saw Further and Deeper
177 Fools Bane
178 Cruel Claw Perceived
179 Power Relin. To artifice
180 unabated in malice
Pallando

Tythis wrote:
zarathustra wrote:Great reports Jon! By the way, I think Ulli and Birk are not married... ;)
well, cute couple in any case and both very nice. Anyone have one of their contact info btw?

Mark is right. Uli and me are not a couple. Uli is my salsa dancing partner. And after the cancelation of the wilderness tour there was time for Salsa in NY which was realy great !!!

Return to “Worlds”