[M-Adunaphel vs X] deck request

Post your decks, discuss strategy, ask for tips, etc.
kober

Anybody willing to share their Adunaphel minion deck?
CDavis7M

What kind of deck are you looking for? In general, Adunaphel has good DI in Lord mode. But the With King also has the same DI, 1 more prowess, additionally uses Shadow Magic, is a sage, and can have followers. If you want to use Adunaphel you need to benefit from her at-Haven cancellation ability. Obviously this is more important when you have weak characters (e.g., covert faction mustering) or when you are going to dangerous regions (e.g., Dragon Country). But, she only cancels attacks not at a site, while assassins and dragons are playable at sites.

You can use Adunaphel to cancel the region-keyed attacks and then use Ruse, A Nice Place, Crept Along, or Slay Not to handle the other attacks. Having Adunaphel cover some of the cancellation frees up deck space so that you can add Diplomat boosters (Crooked Promptings, Join With).

I'd start with the Adunaphel challenge deck, drop the rings and related cards, and then add factions and diplomat cards to double down on the "covertness." Adunaphel Unleashed (CvCC) or Words of Menace (influence away) could be a nasty surprise at the end of the game. Or just plan to leave Adunaphel at the Haven all game and you can add in By The Ringwraith's Word, Faithless Steward, and Yellow Face Sleeps.

...I tried to use Adunaphel but eventually settled on using Uvatha actively while also recycling my cancellers (while not at a haven).
kober

I haven't seen an Adunaphel deck other than the challenge deck, and I'm wondering whether anybody had put one together and played test it. There are no requirements, really, anything goes (as long as it purposefully makes use of the abilities of the RW).
CDavis7M

Here is the deck that I was talking about, slightly modified for Adunaphel, but it was originally for Adunaphel anyway. This deck is only vs Hero as many of the hazards don't work vs Minion.

Starting Company:
2 Open to the Summons (WH)
1 Herion (DM) (must have)
1 Súrion (DM) (must have)

1 Tros Hesnef (LE)
1 Jerrek (LE)
1 Mîonid (AS)
1 Odoacer (LE)

Characters:
3 Adûnaphel the Ringwraith (LE)
1 Nevido Smôd (LE)
1 Asternak (LE)
1 Pon Opar (LE)
1 Dâsakûn (DM) (to be played as an agent)
1 Ivic (DM) (to be played as an agent)
1 Râisha (DM) (to be played as an agent)

Resources (30):
2 To Satisfy the Questioner (LE) (Minas Tirith, Pelargir, Dol Amroth)
1 Palantír of Minas Tirith [M] (LE)
2 That's Been Heard Before Tonight (LE) (Minas Tirith, Dol Amroth)
2 That Ain't No Secret (LE) (Minas Tirith, Dol Amroth)
2 Smoke on the Wind (LE) (Minas Tirith, Pelargir, Dol Amroth)
1 Sable Shield (LE) (Raider hold, Gobel Mirlond)
1 High Helm (LE) (Raider hold, Gobel Mirlond)
2 Secret Book (AS)
1 Heralded Lord (LE)
1 Morgul-orcs (AS) (Aduhaphel)
2 Swag (LE) (Minas Tirith, Pelargir, Dol Amroth)
3 Not Slay Needlessly (LE)
2 Tokens to Show (AS)
2 Iron-road (LE)
2 Voices of Malice (LE)
3 Bold Thrust (LE)
1 Ready to His Will (LE)

Resource Sideboard:
1 Sudden Call (LE)
2 Faithless Steward (AS)
1 Asdriags (AS)
1 Nûrniags (LE)
3 Saw-toothed Blade (LE)
1 While the Yellow Face Sleeps (LE)

Hazards (30):
2 Pirates (LE)
2 Sellswords Between Charters (LE)
2 Lawless Men (LE)
3 Mûmak - Oliphant (TW)
3 Corsairs of Umbar (TW)
3 Never Seen Him (DM)
3 Nobody's Friend (DM)
1 Fury of the Iron Crown (TW)
2 An Unexpected Outpost (DM)
2 Twilight (LE)
3 Great Need or Purpose (DM)
3 To Get You Away (DM)
1 Mouth of Sauron (TW)

Put Lost in Free Domains in your sideboard.

Play Notes:

Grey as a mouse,
Big as a house,
Nose like a snake,
I make the earth shake,
If ever you'd met me
You wouldn't forget me.
If you never do,
You won't think I'm true.

The entire point of this deck is to play Mûmak. Then you play Oliphaunt's Fate or Cracks of Mumak to win the game.

HAZARDS: You can play Mumak if your opponent travels in Khand or Horse Plains. You can make them want to move there by capturing their important characters and using Easterling Camp or Variag Camp as the rescue site. You can get prisoners there by using To Get You Away on Dasakun, Ivic, or Raisha. Nobody's Friend, Never Seen Him, and Great Need or Purpose can be used to get the agents moving fast. Be sure to move them North, avoiding your own sites. Sometimes you just get lucky and have Corsairs and Mumak when someone goes to The Stones. The hazards don't use Rank Upon Rank because it hurts the resources deck too much.

RESOURCES: The resource strategy is a thematic counterpart to the Mumak master plan. It uses the Eastern/Southern men to covertly invade Gondor to steal information and commit arson. It relies on being covert, cancelling home-site automatic-attacks, and dropping a bunch of MP per turn. Herion cancels Dol Amroth and Surion cancels Minas Tirith and Pelargir. The 2nd AA will not happen against covert companies.

Moves from Minas Morgul to one of those 3 Gondor sites, cancel Elf-Lords (no Doors in hazard section) or Ambushers with Adunaphel. Cancel the 1st AA with the agent then play To Satisfy the Questioner (3MP) or Palantir (3MP) to tap the site. Play Secret Book if you have it. The information cards can then be played at Minas Tirith and Dol Amroth (That's Been Heard Before Tonight 2MP, That Aint No Secret 1MP). Then play Smoke on the Wind (3MP) and use Bold Thrust or Not Slay Needlessly to deal with the 10 prowess strike. Swag can pull the Sawtooth Blades from the Sideboard. You'll need these to help with Smoke on the Wind. Hopefully Adunaphel's cancellation will save Bold Thrust/Not Slay to be used for Smoke. Then untap the site with Secret Book and head back to Minas Morgul, cancelling creatures with Adunaphel on the way. Store your events in the EoT with Tokens to Show so that you can untap. Or if you are lucky and have cancellers, maybe you can get away with playing Iron Road to do this all in 1 turn (your mileage may vary).

Factions to be rallied by Adunaphel are in the sideboard, along with other MPs like Faithless Steward. You can sideboard with Adunaphel if your company is sitting at a site (all got tapped, or were still tapped after storing without Tokens in play).

If Herion or Surion die early on you can just start discarding your resources and focus on the Mumak strategy to win.

One time I captured a Wizard but I had left Mumak in the sideboard. Never again. 3 straight to the deck.
kober

CDavis7M wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:07 amThen you play Oliphaunt's Fate or Cracks of Mumak to win the game.
:lol:

Cool theme, thanks!

Return to “Decks, Strategy, Tips, Ideas”