Reused art

Anything MECCG related that doesn't fit in another forum.
The Global Players List is located here.
Mordakai
Council Member

We all know that ICE reused some art from MERP to MECCG, but what about reusign art from MECCG to MECCG? I've seen that some art has been reused from one set to other, with some modifications:

(art inverted, zoomed, stretched and changed in colour)

Something similar happens with Saruman's Machinery and the (I know, not ICE, fanmade, not yet released, whatever...) Under Forges from Northern Waste:

(art inverted and changed in colour)

A different but in my opinion very interesting case is Golodhros and Minas Morgul. Being the home site of the agent, it seems that Liz Danforth tried to make a little tribute to the great Angus McBride (watch the fortress at the back of the agent, even the sky has this purplish colour)

Are you aware of any others?
C'mon, not the Elves of Lindon AGAIN...
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

Wow, nice finds. I never realized these things before.

Gesendet von meinem FIG-LX1 mit Tapatalk

Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

The case of Caves of Ulund <-> Iron Deeps is striking. Great find! Never realised myself before! I don't know of any other recycling of illustrations.

There are a few other examples for artists "citing" a colleague's work, though. The Golodhros <-> Minas Morgul example is a nice one. Another is Nazgul are Abroad: Angus McBride sticks to the Nazguls' depiction by Liz Danforth who gave them their individual features by their helmets.
NAzgl.png
NAzgl.png (1.37 MiB) Viewed 7199 times
Last edited by Khamul the Easterling on Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

Going further off-topic with the Nazgul. Donato Giancola clearly took Liz' representation as a reference for his illustration of the Ringwraith. Apart from that he seemed to be inspired also by a renowned work of Rembrandt ;)
Unbenannt.png
Unbenannt.png (918.53 KiB) Viewed 7198 times
panotxa

Cool thread :) I love meccg art and these kind of details!

Concerning inspiration/homage, I think ICE’s always gave the artists a small description/road map made by a scene description, a book quote and references. This references containing most of the times other previous meecg cards and other related artwork. This could explain these kind of links between illustrations.
Mordakai
Council Member

Khamul the Easterling wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:11 pm The case of Caves of Ulund <-> Iron Deeps is striking. Great find! Never realised myself before! I don't know of any other recycling of illustrations.

There are a few other examples for artists "citing" a colleague's work, though. The Golodhros <-> Minas Morgul example is a nice one. Another is Nazgul are Abroad: Angus McBride sticks to the Nazguls' depiction by Liz Danforth who gave them their individual features by their helmets.

NAzgl.png
And, in case of Adûnaphel, not only the helmet... :idea: :idea:

Another interesting case surfaced yesterday in spaniards' whatsapp: Glamdring and Orcrist are the two swords that appear in Double Dealing... (same artist for all)

Image ImageImage
C'mon, not the Elves of Lindon AGAIN...
Vil_Gredin

Thanks a lot for sharing these finds!

It's amazing to see these cross-references between cards, and it reinforces the immersion feeling pretty much. That really is a strength of the game.
CDavis7M

What about that dirty morgul-rat traitor, Gorbag? They used to same picture of a rat on both cards!
Morgul-rat.png
Morgul-rat.png (904.29 KiB) Viewed 7150 times
Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

Mordakai wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:15 am
Another interesting case surfaced yesterday in spaniards' whatsapp: Glamdring and Orcrist are the two swords that appear in Double Dealing... (same artist for all)

The interesting thing on Audrey's swords is that Christina Wald is clearly citing them in 'a short rest':
AShortRest.jpg
AShortRest.jpg (44.35 KiB) Viewed 7120 times
Last edited by Khamul the Easterling on Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
CDavis7M

I have read/heard from artists that CCG Designers will give a short instruction for their commissioned illustrations. I wonder if ICE specifically referenced older cards for consistency or if the artists were aware themselves.

There's also these 2 "tributes," both wielding their signature hammer and axe/mattock (obviously).
Umi&Bumi.png
Umi&Bumi.png (1.96 MiB) Viewed 7134 times
Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

J Wallace Jones' idea of depicting Carn Dûm as merely a wall running along the mountainside was picked up again by his successors for this site. While Douglas Chaffee sticked very closely to the version from the Wizards set, Stephen Walsh interpreted it with some more freedom...
cd.png
cd.png (377.75 KiB) Viewed 7107 times
Banalitybob

The Mouth from Lidless Eye has the Card Back as his banner.
Attachments
cardback.jpg
cardback.jpg (68.38 KiB) Viewed 7099 times
The Mouth.jpg
The Mouth.jpg (22.57 KiB) Viewed 7099 times
panotxa

Don’t forget about this one! ;)

CDavis7M

Or when the artist just copies themselves because they did it right the first time.
metw_concealment.jpg
metw_concealment.jpg (99.38 KiB) Viewed 7033 times
MENeekerBreekers.jpg
MENeekerBreekers.jpg (359.77 KiB) Viewed 7033 times
CDavis7M

Return to “Odds, Ends & Hobbit Holes”