Differences between the Unlimited and Limited printings

Anything MECCG related that doesn't fit in another forum.
The Global Players List is located here.
TomBombadil

CDavis7M interesting observations on card text differences in the first vs later printing of Unlimited, reminded me of the more well known differences between the English Limited and Unlimited edition. For example, the Limited edition of Awaken minions have the art mirrored compared to the Unlimited edition.

Does anyone have a complete list of all differences between the Limited and Unlimited printing, including minor in the text box etc? I thought I had one myself and that I have also seen either here or in the old forum on meccg.net, but I am unable to find it now. Thank you!
CDavis7M

I vaguely remember seeing something somewhere on the internet. But I can't find anything. I do have a list I have been keeping but it's just notes, not formal. I got interested when I noticed that the CoE issued errata to Leaflock when the Unlimited version already had the revised wording.

There are a ton of Unlimited cards with revised text. There are so many variations. Of course sometimes the Unlimited cards just incorporates the errata made to the Limited card. But quite often the errata changes do not match the revised Unlimited text. But there's other things. Some Unlimited cards have changes made in response to old questions (like Thorin controlling characters with Blue Mtn DF as their home site). So the revision reflects a non-errata clarification (Evenstar also), or maybe not even an official clarification but just a point of confusion. There are also changes which I did not see any errata, clarification, or even a question about (like 18/- on Balrog of Moria). Surely someone had a question though since ICE was keeping notes.

There are a few cases of Lore quotes being added (like Scroll). Also lore quotes being dropped (Fair Travels in Wilderness).

Bergil pointed out to me before that the artist of Cave-drake was changed (presumably someone did not want to be falsely attributed with it).

There was also an issue with the printer's typesetting/formatting in Limited which was corrected in Unlimited. You'll see weird spots for a new line on a few Limited cards, like on Giant Spiders and Bert.

And of course Lidless Eye had a lot more changes to the text. I think I remember spotting a case where Lidless Eye lost a change that Unlimited had added but now I forget.

Sort of off topic but there are also weird things happening the other way where clarifications/errata were issued for a problem that doesn't exist. Or where errata was issued and then changed or dropped.
TomBombadil

NOTE! I will try to keep the list below updated with any confirmed printing differences that are submitted to this thread.

So I compiled a rough list of cards where the English Unlimited printing differs from the English Limited printing, based on my own collection and earlier notes. I didn't have time to write down the precise differences or check everything in detail, so please let me know of any corrections. It's not unlikely that I've made some mistakes and/or forgotten about something.

The below list does not include cards where only the typesetting/formatting differs, or where only the artist credit has been changed (e.g. Cave Drake where part of the Limited printing erronously credits Kaja Foglio instead of David Deitrick).

Errata and/or revised text (clarifications)

Akhôrahil
Align Palantír
Army of the Dead
Balrog of Moria
Bill the Pony
Book of Mazarbul
Call of Home
Call of the Sea
Corpse-candle
Corsairs of Umbar
Cracks of Doom
Dain II
Dodge
Doors of Night
Dragon's Desolation
Drowning Seas
Dwarven Ring of Drúin's Tribe
Dwarven Ring of Thélor's Tribe
Dwarven Ring of Thrár's Tribe
Ent-draughts
Escape
The Evenstar
Eye of Sauron
Gates of Morning
Ghosts
Giant
Giant Spiders
Gimli
Glóin
The Great Goblin
Great-road
Gwaihir
Horses
Huorn
Leaflock
Lucky Search
Lure of Expedience
Lure of Nature
Mirror of Galadriel
Morannon
Morgul-knife
Mouth of Sauron
Old Man Willow
The Old Thrush (light and dark border versions are different)
The Precious
Pûkel-men
Quiet Lands
Ringlore
River
Roäc the Raven
Sacrifice of Form (light and dark border versions are different)
Shadowfax
Siege
Silent Watcher
Skinbark
Slayer
Thorin II
Traitor
Treebeard
Twilight
Use Palantír
Vilya
Watcher in the Water
The White Tree
Wizard's Laughter
Wizard's Ring
Wolves

Changes to lore quotes

"Bert" (Bûrat)
Fair Travels in Wilderness
Magic Ring of Lore
Palantír of Osgiliath
Scroll of Isildur
Tolfalas

Changes to art

Aragorn II
Awaken Minions
Daelomin
Fell Turtle
Fellowship (light and dark border versions are different)

Appendix – Clarifications in ICE The Wizards Companion (#3333) but NO changes to card text

Bane of the Ithil-stone
Foul Fumes
Goldberry
Great Ship
Halfling Strength
Long Winter
Morgul Night
Morgul-horse
Palantír of Amon Sûl
The Pale Sword
Praise to Elbereth
Ren the Unclean
Secret Entrance
Last edited by TomBombadil on Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
TomBombadil

Some earlier notes of mine state that at the following two cards should be different as well, but I am not able to spot any differences myself:

Dwarven Ring of Bávor's Tribe
Gollum's Fate

The copies I have of Dwarven Ring of Bávor's Tribe and Gollum's Fate is the light and dark bordered version, respectively. Could it be that the dark border version of Bávor's (or light in Gollum's Fate's case) is different?
Last edited by TomBombadil on Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
CDavis7M

TomBombadil wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:20 pm So I compiled a rough list of cards where the English Unlimited printing differs from the English Limited printing, based on my own collection and earlier notes...
I'd have to look at this list more later but I think you have most of the big changes though you are missing some of the smaller ones. I'd need to check my notes.

I remember revised text in Ghosts and Giant Spiders, and lore quote additions in Bert, Tolfalas, and Magic Ring of Lore.
TomBombadil

CDavis7M wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:10 am I'd have to look at this list more later but I think you have most of the big changes though you are missing some of the smaller ones…
Excellent, looking forward to your feedback. I just found two different images online of the Unlimited The Old Thrush, one includes the "Cannot be duplicated on a given attack" statement, one does not. I've hence added the card to the main list above and also edited my following post so that it does not contradict the main list.
CDavis7M

TomBombadil wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:34 am
CDavis7M wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:10 am I'd have to look at this list more later but I think you have most of the big changes though you are missing some of the smaller ones…
Excellent, looking forward to your feedback. I just found two different images online of the Unlimited The Old Thrush, one includes the "Cannot be duplicated on a given attack" statement, one does not. I've hence added the card to the main list above and also edited my following post so that it does not contradict the main list.
Ah yes, I had looked at this also because it's in the same batch of online errata as Sacrifice, which came after Unlimited was printed. The Bill the Pony errata was also later but I hadn't' seen any difference on that one. Though as you noted Bill the Pony was in the Companion (while Sacrifice and Old Thrush were not), which I believe was published along with Unlimited (the Companion rules actually has a few slight differences from Unlimited, mostly in a better way I think).

By the way, I think you are missing some Dwarf characters. Look for "the __ faction." There were usually questions about Thorin but it's an issue on many of the big Dwarves.

I'll check my list later.
TomBombadil

CDavis7M wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:10 am I remember revised text in Ghosts and Giant Spiders, and lore quote additions in Bert, Tolfalas, and Magic Ring of Lore.
I've checked these now and you are indeed correct, the main list above has been updated to reflect this.

CDavis7M wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:48 am By the way, I think you are missing some Dwarf characters. Look for "the __ faction." There were usually questions about Thorin but it's an issue on many of the big Dwarves.
It appears that at least Glóin and Gimli should be added to the list, but I don't own the Unlimited version of those so haven't been able to confirm they were actually changed.
TomBombadil

TomBombadil wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:16 am It appears that at least Glóin and Gimli should be added to the list, but I don't own the Unlimited version of those so haven't been able to confirm they were actually changed.
I've now managed to check this, both Gimli and Glóin have indeed received revised text. The main list above has been updated to reflect this
TomBombadil

Spotted another one, the artwork on Aragorn II has a slightly different cropping (main list updated above).

Return to “Odds, Ends & Hobbit Holes”