Worlds 2009

thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

we should start to look for the next host of worlds as soon as possible. the procedure always takes quite some time.

what are the considerations behind the curtains??
countries like poland, italy or germany have been mentioned ...

(1)
also, i am thinking of changing the whole procedure, which was always quite enduring fior me. lets face the facts: for the last years we always knew BEFORE the applications and votings which country will be the host. was it ever different in the past??

so why not get accustomed to this and make it a task for the COE to find a proper host. the best moment to have a look into this is at current worlds. after all, thats exactly what we have been doing anyway.

what do you think??

(2)
another consideration of mine was, to skip the qualifier tourney at friday totally. IMO there would be many benefits:
- no need to get the infos from the councils, who won nationals
- no need for the players to ask, if they get a slot
- non local players go to worlds being assured, that they will actually play the worlds tourney.
- no limiting of the playfield, while we should be happy to have as many players as possible

there might be one thing problematic:
more than 32 players would demand a sixth round.
well, first i would be delighted to be in such a situation ;-)
then, i wouldnt mind to play "only" 5 rounds even with a number of up to 40 players, since we are having a top 4 finals anyway.
and i might even prefer a sixth round to ahving a handful of players not being allowed to participate.
Balin
Ex Council Member

thorondor wrote:(2)
another consideration of mine was, to skip the qualifier tourney at friday totally.
I agree here. With more than 32 players, a sixth round solves the problem. If anyone believes that six rounds in a row is too much, just think about people playing Drinking Game at Worlds after 5 rounds of the main event... 8)
__

Let them come! There is one dwarf yet in Moria that still draws breath!
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

I'm against this.

It's a small bonus to winning a nationals tournament, or being Euro Cup Champ, or GCCG Online Champ, or Worlds Organizer or what not.

If we take that away, there's just that 1 little less thing out there for winning a large tournament.
Frodo
Ex Council Member

I can understand the point about the "nice bonus," but the problem with keeping the Friday qualifier is that it usually gets canceled anyway! At Belgium and at NYC last year this happened. What this means is that players (and now we know they are many) who may have come to Worlds if they had known they were *guaranteed* to play in the main event are now missing their chance completely.

Brian's point touches upon the larger picture of the competitive players versus the non-competitive players. The fact of the matter is, we are losing players like mad, and frankly, any little thing that would keep them coming sounds good to me, so I would support Wolfgang's resolution.

I would also support a resolution creating some either nice bonus for players who place highly in nationals qualifiers like... geez, how about giving them some player ranking points in a actually published and *maintained* database? There's an idea!

Frodo
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

Frodo wrote:Brian's point touches upon the larger picture of the competitive players versus the non-competitive players. The fact of the matter is, we are losing players like mad, and frankly, any little thing that would keep them coming sounds good to me, so I would support Wolfgang's resolution.
There's the flip side Joe. You may push people away as well. This is a lose lose situation.
Sfan
Ex Council Member

My two cents: People who get a slot in worlds won a large tournament before. They always got the free worlds slot on top of that. So their motivation was not getting a worlds slot, but play in that large tournament. I don't see a big problem in loosing people that way. Au contraire: newbees or "lower level" players might consider coming to worlds since it is possilbe to participate without this (monstorous) qualifier.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

another advantage of skipping the qualifier:
you got more time for some realy cool side events like dreamcards, virtual, arda, scenarios and of course sealed!
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

Sfan wrote:My two cents: People who get a slot in worlds won a large tournament before. They always got the free worlds slot on top of that. .
That's the bonus for winning a large tournament. You've guarenteed yourself a slot in Worlds. It's a world championship it's supposed to bring the best players in the world together to compete to see who's the best of the best.

There has always been an alternative route for players who didnt' get pre-qualified. There was the qualifier.

I had to fight my way through qualifiers in 2004 because I wasn't given a slot, but I knew that going in. Why are we going to start guarenteeing people to play in Worlds who haven't qualified? Just so we can accommodate those players who don't qualify?

Well then let's just skip semi's too and just do finals. How about we gaurentee everyone a shot at finals and just skip semi's too? Yes I understand I'm being flippiant here, but we should keep Worlds as it is in my opinion.
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

I agree with both of Wolfgang's suggestions.
http://www.alfanos.org
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

As discussed on dinner back in Belgium, agree with Wolfgang.

"A LOng Expected PArty"
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
Frodo
Ex Council Member

I just put up a major post that discusses, in part, the future of Worlds.

COE- General
http://www.councilofelrond.org/forum/vi ... =7984#7984

--joe
marcos
Council Member

argentina :roll:

im not a member of the CoE but as a constant (and mid level) player i think you should consider also the people who cant afford a trip to the site that world is being hosted and give them a chance to play such tournament. For example, to bringing wolrds to their places...

just a thought

best!
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

I have some good news. Today on Essen I spoke to Arco to thank him again for his gracious donations, and he said he has one ring left that might be handed out for Worlds 09.

Bert
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

marcos wrote:
argentina :roll:

im not a member of the CoE but as a constant (and mid level) player i think you should consider also the people who cant afford a trip to the site that world is being hosted and give them a chance to play such tournament. For example, to bringing wolrds to their places...

just a thought

best!
Well you can put a bid in as well. The country that's picked will ideally have a decent size local player base, and large airports, etc.

But why don't you put together a bid and try to get it? I know I'm putting in a bid for Worlds 2010.

Return to “Misc Topics - Council of Elrond section”