getting some people into virtuals

Where the Virtual Boyz plan their latest capers
marcos
Council Member

I just got a good idea wich might encourage some players to give virtuals a try:

Virtual Challenge decks!

Maybe we could have some pre-built decks that people can import to play, i've known from some players that deckbuilding is very hard for them or too time consuming, so why not provide them with preconstructed decks?

anyone interested in helping with the making of such decks?

best!
Marcos
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Yep, sounds good, you mean for gccg? or, well, any purpose...
First we got to establish the criteria for a virtual deck though.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
marcos
Council Member

i mean those decks can be available at gccg, and we should put them in Showcase forum as well, for those who plays in real life.

About challenge deck criteria, i was thinking on

- Any number of virtuals
- 5 non site rares
- All sites in location deck

what do you think?
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Well, what would be the main clientele? I don't think newbees would play virtuals, so we can expect people have most of the cards, so rarity should not be a great concern, moreover if it's on gccg.

any number of virtuals, I suppose you mean number yet to be determined? Because if you want to introduce people, that number will be relevantly hight, like 10 or so (1 nazgul hazard deck, 1 dragon, 1 awakened plant, all of these have 5 virtuals in hazards easily).

I always have a bit of ambiguous feeling with challenge decks, they must be ok, but can't be too good or they're just performance decks. But if it's not for newbees then people won't settle for less than excellent decks.
So, you could also just make some of your decklists available of course :wink:
marcos
Council Member

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:Well, what would be the main clientele? I don't think newbees would play virtuals, so we can expect people have most of the cards, so rarity should not be a great concern, moreover if it's on gccg.

any number of virtuals, I suppose you mean number yet to be determined? Because if you want to introduce people, that number will be relevantly hight, like 10 or so (1 nazgul hazard deck, 1 dragon, 1 awakened plant, all of these have 5 virtuals in hazards easily).

I always have a bit of ambiguous feeling with challenge decks, they must be ok, but can't be too good or they're just performance decks. But if it's not for newbees then people won't settle for less than excellent decks.
So, you could also just make some of your decklists available of course :wink:
so you say that we just send our decklists and that's it? Sounds very much simpler :D
I think main clientele will be gccg people, i dont think that people plays much virtuals in real life games... I know there are some that does, but anyway such lists will be available at showcase forum...
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

indeed, just copy paste, but they must be interesting decks of course, fun to play, relatively self-evident, and not sucking big time in performance.

Still, it could be good to think of kind of prototype decks, like I said, there's 3 main hazard strats that are boosted, let's combine these with 3 resource decks, 1 hero, 1 fallen, 1 minion. Of course many more could be made, but if you start the hero with Lego, the fallen with Bard, and the minion with Snaga, then at least we've got the whole range covered. For hero: tower raided? for fallen: burning and spellcasting of course. for minion: choose your pick, there's so many, Khamul on the hunt? (should be nice against Lego/Gimli).
Thematically Khamul combines best with Nazgul, but of course strategically Tower Raided combines best with Nazgul. Then, Saruman with plants (hehe), and Khamul with Dragons.

or, something to this extend...
marcos
Council Member

you are really good at themes and so ;)

thanks for the ideas, i will try to come up with some decklists!

Do you think we should use only cards from set numer one yet?
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

yes keep it set 1, the rest hasn't been even announced yet.
I'll try for a Khamul deck then, haven't done that one yet, I have a good Tower Raided deck, without Lego unfortunately, but that's the point, I was hoping to use that at Lure, so I might be breaking my own windows here. :wink: Seems to me you got more experience with the Saruman burn, or well whoever burn (Gandalf? ultimate crime)
marcos
Council Member

i have a fallen radagast burn deck... that might be a start... though FW saru or gandalf would be more thematic
Nerdmeetsyou

Greath Idear... we should create like eight Decks or something with real cards and bring them to one of the Next lures or other events to hold a smal tournament with them....
So the people can see our cards in action without too many difficulties...
This could get people into V-Cards!!!!

This is something that we should try to accomplish when we have set 2 nearly finsihed...so there will be some cards available....

I would love to take that job into my hands...but I just haven't got enough cards for building eight challange decks.... a lot of interesting uncommons and rares would be missing.....
marcos
Council Member

i already sent the decklists to GCCG subversion, some are old ones so might need work. For example, there is a dwar deck that was built before we included orc mounts in set 1...

Hope you check them and give comments to improve them. Later i will put the lists in here for those who doesnt use GCCG

best!
Nerdmeetsyou

I just wanted to bulit a v-card Raiding deck with Fallen wizards...
but just realized that "Smoke on the Wind" is rare...
and i don't have any at alll...*G*
damn!
Frodo
Ex Council Member

Hey guys, I just wanted to say that this is a really good idea. But it touches on TWO RELATED PROJECTS, so I’d like to describe the cross-over a bit, then get your opinions on them.

1) First, we have a project called the ICDs, or “Intermediate Challenge Deck” projects. There was a lot of discussion-hours spent on them, why they were necessary, etc.
(Read about it here http://www.councilofelrond.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=26)
Basically, these decks were seen as fulfilling a niche; they would give advanced players who had mastered the challenge decks but didn’t have the time or ability to make decent, tournament-playable decks something to fight with. Originally, these decks were designed and playtested using the “Victory Points” method. It was decided that this method was too limiting (even though I defended it at first… sheesh) and too un-middle-earth-like, and that a return to the normal marshalling point structure was needed. But then the whole project was dropped.

I think it would efficient (and sneaky!) of us if we made the ICDs virtual decks, using cards from Virtual Set #1. That way, we are tapping a whole other niche of players who want decks (as opposed to only those interested directly in Virtuals).

Some things to consider: the ICDs were theorized as existing in a “closed” environment where they would play against each other, like Challenge Decks. But like Challenge Decks, I think they should be pretty decent decks in a tournament. So I believe this should be our standard for creating them (decent in a tourney, but also balanced to fight against the other intermediate virtual-decks). We don’t even need that many at first; maybe 2 hero, 2 RW, 1 FW, 1 Balrog.

Other things to consider: remember that these V-decks you are making should be teaching their players something. So they should be demonstrating some advanced card plays. But they can’t be uber-complicated either.

When Coming Up With Deck Ideas (or ideas to tweak your existing V-Decks so they are balanced in a closed environment): Consider the themes that were already created in the ICD thread. Also, and this is important, Leon made a big post where he listed his ideas for intermediate Challenge decks that were based on normal MP conditions. Why not mine his list for ideas? Here is the beginning of his document (email him for it):
“On my middle earth decks, similar to the intermediate challenge decks
I started composing some deck lists recently because I had some spare time on my hands and I want to make several decks to play with my girlfriend now that we have played the challenge decks for some time. Somehow the number of decks got a bit high as I explored different tactics etc, so I do not know how many of these I will actually build.

Each deck has a certain area and race it is based upon and often a large mission if all goes well.”
Okay, so who is going to take the lead on this project?

Regarding my half-year absence from these forums… I think I’m back in action, finally!

--Frodo

Return to “Development”