European Championship 07

thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

since there is Worlds in the US, traditionally there should be an EC in 07 (in autemn). now let´s have some first discussions. since many of us will meet at castle stahleck, maybe we can sort out a few things there.
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

I guess the key point is: who is going to organize?

We might also think now about Worlds 2008, since we want to make sure there is at least one strong bid. Does anyone know of a country that's already interested in bidding, or could be made interested? I think it would be great if one off the burgeoning communities were able to host worlds -- say, Italy or Poland.

Of course, there's always the option of trying to go somewhere exotic.... Maybe we could convince the Australians or the Argentineans to host! :D

National Reps -- any thoughts, comments?
http://www.alfanos.org
Earendil

Well, I would be a lier if I say I wasn't thinking about WC08 for Italy...
Of course it's urgent also to think about Euro07, if we want it.

I think Wolfgang had a great idea (also Fanfarian spoke about it a while ago): what about having a session of CoE at Lure? Of course not ALL the members will be there, but we could have some "brainstorming and sharing" session rather than any decision-making process.
It could even be a short meeting involving CoE members and National Council Reps (and, in fact, every people who want to assist) - with tournament... eheheh.

I think we could speak basicly about the future and perspectives of single nations and, thus, about mid-term world and euro championships.
"...And he said that if I had the cheek to make verses about Earendil in the house of Elrond, it was my affair. I suppose he was right"
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

such a meeting would be good. we tried before, and finding a date is a problem. so what about scheduling it on friday midnight (resp. after the end of the last relevant tourney)?
i don´t think we will find a better time.

@sergio: italy came to my mind too ;-)
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

Sounds great. After I win the Dragon Hunt, we will sit down and talk ;)
Sfan
Ex Council Member

Sounds great. After getting totally drunk at the Drinking Game it might get a fruitful discussion. ;)
Tegarend

I'll stay sober, so I'll take the minutes?
Sfan
Ex Council Member

thorondor wrote:such a meeting would be good. we tried before, and finding a date is a problem. so what about scheduling it on friday midnight (resp. after the end of the last relevant tourney)?
i don´t think we will find a better time.

@sergio: italy came to my mind too ;-)
Bad news from over here. I won't make it to Lure this year. I only live 1.5 h by car away and I still won't make it due to heavy work load (I have a meeting with my boss on friday evening and need to be a congress on sunday).
HAVE FUN!!! And a fruitful discussion...
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

Well, the discussion was less than fruitful because we never got to it... heheh... oh well.

So: Euro 2007? Any volunteers among nat'l reps?

We should also think about Worlds 2008 when planning this. If no one will be prepared for Worlds because the only country able to do it wears itself out planning Euros, it might be better to skip Euros.

I don't know the situations in each country in great detail, but as far as I can tell, the main options are:

Poland, Germany, Austria, Spain, Finland, Italy, Czech, Holland.

Presumably Spain is out because they hosted worlds 2006.
Presumably Finland is out because they will host Nordic Cup in the summer.
(correct me if I'm wrong about either of these)

So that leaves Poland, Germany, Austria, Italy, Holland.

What do you think?

Incidentally, the doyen of MECCG in Holland, Arco den Boer, has kindly offered to donate a Badali One Ring for Worlds 2008. I'll put him in contact with whomever wins the bid for 2008.
Sfan
Ex Council Member

zarathustra wrote:Well, the discussion was less than fruitful because we never got to it... heheh... oh well.

So: Euro 2007? Any volunteers among nat'l reps?

We should also think about Worlds 2008 when planning this. If no one will be prepared for Worlds because the only country able to do it wears itself out planning Euros, it might be better to skip Euros.

I don't know the situations in each country in great detail, but as far as I can tell, the main options are:

Poland, Germany, Austria, Spain, Finland, Italy, Czech, Holland.

Presumably Spain is out because they hosted worlds 2006.
Presumably Finland is out because they will host Nordic Cup in the summer.
(correct me if I'm wrong about either of these)

So that leaves Poland, Germany, Austria, Italy, Holland.

What do you think?

Incidentally, the doyen of MECCG in Holland, Arco den Boer, has kindly offered to donate a Badali One Ring for Worlds 2008. I'll put him in contact with whomever wins the bid for 2008.
Hello Mark, hello fellow CoE-members!

Yeah Lure is always a time consuming and joyful event. Even if Spain and Finland hosted the last Worlds they are very welcome to do it again. If there is a competition the other could be prefered. But better to have a race for to best place.
Thinkable is a fusion with a big event (like i.e. Nordic Cup, btw: Stockholm is a great city or Spelenspektakel). I have been to Zandvoort, NL last week and I like the country side very well. So stop forward, Dutchies! ;)

My 2 cents,
Stefan
Tegarend

If truly no country better suited to it offers to organize Euro's 07, Flanders might host it.
|Highwayman|

We in Poland are going to have a tournament sometime in autumn anyway, and in a fairly nice and spacey place I think (in Zabrze), so maybe I'd be able to convince the people who organized tournaments in Zabrze last two times to make a grand event this year, go all the way and organize Euro's there...

Poland is fairly cheap when it comes to accommodation and food when compared with other European countries (ok, those east of Poland may be even cheaper but I don't know of any MECCG players there) - the only problem would be for everyone to get here (I've never traveled abroad so I have no idea how much it costs to get to Poland but lately I hear travel across Europe becomes cheaper and cheaper)

so if you guys don't have anything against it I'll ask around if it would be possible to host MECCG European Championships 2007 in Poland...
Going ever under dark,
Having the clouded sky above me -
And pale nothingness beneath me,
I see a light in the distant darkness,
It beckons me in and I accept it's invitation...
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

i like the idea of having EC in poland! till a few months ago this part of the world wasn´t existing for the rest of the MECCG world. now things are prospering there, and a big event like EC could have a good effect.

in general i think that right now many people from the eastern european countries are travelling a lot to the west. why not returning the direction? i really would like to go there!
Earendil

Poland seems a great location...

I'd like to visit it.

The only problem is that EC should be organized earlier than in Switzerland, 2004. I guess in Poland there could be a lot of snow in december!!! :P
"...And he said that if I had the cheek to make verses about Earendil in the house of Elrond, it was my affair. I suppose he was right"
|Highwayman|

be sure to bring plenty of Twilight's then :P

seriously, IF someone in Poland will take on to organize Euros 2007 then it most probably be at the end of October or at the beginning of November - I estimate chances for snow as about 35%

As I'm sure everyone knows (cuz I've been trying to let everyone know) there will be a Tournament in Poland in 3 weeks now, so at that time, when we're all together in one place, we will discuss the question of Euros 2007 more closely
Going ever under dark,
Having the clouded sky above me -
And pale nothingness beneath me,
I see a light in the distant darkness,
It beckons me in and I accept it's invitation...

Return to “Misc Topics - Council of Elrond section”