Open to the Summons

Any rule erratum or clarification submission for the upcoming 2019 ARV should be posted here.
the Jabberwock
Council Chairman

Open to the Summons

Post by the Jabberwock » Wed May 15, 2019 7:59 pm

I think it needs to be specified whether or not this card allows the play of an additional character during the turn if all other conditions are met.

I propose a vote to issue an official clarification:
Open to the Summons allows an additional character to be played during the turn.
OR
Open to the Summons does not allow an additional character to be played during the turn.
This topic is similar in ways to the Thrall of the Voice topic posted here: https://councilofelrond.org/forum/viewt ... 145&t=3794

Reference Topic: https://councilofelrond.org/forum/viewt ... =16&t=3797

CDavis7M

Re: Open to the Summons

Post by CDavis7M » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:35 pm

I agree with Konrad's point 3 (copied below). This seems to be an accurate reflection of how cards are intended to be played.
3. Unless stated otherwise in text of a card, if non-short-event card states that player may take some standard action (i.e. action that otherwise can be taken without additional card/effect at appropriate point of turn), but altered in some way by text of the card, the action may be taken at the point when it otherwise may be taken, and standard conditions of taking the action (other than these altered by text of the card) must be fulfilled.
So, the normal 1 character per turn rule would apply unless the card specifically mentioned otherwise, which it doesn't.

the Jabberwock
Council Chairman

Post by the Jabberwock » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:57 am

CDavis7M wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:35 pm
I agree with Konrad's point 3 (copied below). This seems to be an accurate reflection of how cards are intended to be played.
3. Unless stated otherwise in text of a card, if non-short-event card states that player may take some standard action (i.e. action that otherwise can be taken without additional card/effect at appropriate point of turn), but altered in some way by text of the card, the action may be taken at the point when it otherwise may be taken, and standard conditions of taking the action (other than these altered by text of the card) must be fulfilled.
So, the normal 1 character per turn rule would apply unless the card specifically mentioned otherwise, which it doesn't.
I also agree with Konrad's point #3, however, it is not an actual rule, so it doesn't fix the current problem.

CDavis7M

Post by CDavis7M » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:26 am

I think it is in the rules.
The Wizard's Rules 10 · PLAYING AND DRAWING CARDS wrote: Except for resource long-events, you may play resource cards anytime during your own turn unless specifically prohibited by
the rules
or the cards themselves.
This is a foundational rule applying to every aspect of the game.

My interpretation is that the Rules (eg, one character only per turn may be played during the org phase) prohibit play of additional characters beyond 1, or the play of characters outside of the organization phase. This rule is even in bold font. Here, I interpret anything not specifically allowed by the rules to be "prohibited" by the rules, basically by definition.

Despite the lack of proper wording, A Chance Meeting was intended and ruled to override the Rules. This is unfortunate. It really should have explicit errata.

Without more explicit wording on the card itself, the quoted rule clearly prevents a card from overriding this rule.

There is no indication that additional play allowances were intended by Open to the Summons or Thrall.

To Konrad's other point in the linked thread, I don't agree that all short events create their own playable allowances to override any rules with the need to say so explicitly (as that goes against the rule above).

Other short events suffer some similar issues. Like an attempt to play Old-Road outside of the site phase based on similar reasoning as A Chance Meeting. However, this is not allowed by the fundamental rules of the game (unless you are a chance meeting, or we have come to kill).
CoE 11 wrote:3. I can't find anything that tells me I can't use Old Road in the org phase, or even that it results in the
Haven or the remote site tapping.
*** CRF Site Phase/General: "Items, factions and allies must be played during the site phase."
*** CRF Site Phase/General: "The site taps upon successful play of the resource that would tap it."
That factions are (only) playable in the site phase is a rule of the game. Old Road cannot override this, even by virtue of being a short event.

Return to “2019 Annual Rules Vote - Submissions”