Sideboard Theories

Post your decks, discuss strategy, ask for tips, etc.
DamienX207
Council Member

Greetings fair folk (and apologies if this is a duplicate thread; nothing similar coming up in my search),

I was intrigued by BT's response to this post, which suggested that any seasoned player would surely pack 3 Blind to the West/Ire of the East in every sideboard of every deck:
viewtopic.php?f=128&t=3154
I feel like I've seen a fair number of decklists that don't pack obligatory Blinds/Ires, although certainly some that do -- so I'm guessing that BT was speaking more in terms of tournament rather than ("competitive") casual play? Though I also expect BT that will reply here with some clarification. ;)

In any case, it got me thinking, not just for myself but also novices who have perhaps never built a sideboard: What other cards do y'all consider must-includes for the majority of sideboards that you build?

Personally, I tend to put 3 Twilight and 3 Marvels Told/Voices of Malice split between most of my decks/sideboards (due to extreme usefulness and relative lack of "cheeze"-iness), but would be curious what others may think/practice. Am I missing the boat on Blinds/Ires? Is Rolled Down to the Sea a must-include, or do you prefer alternatives that aren't as annoying for your Ring-dunking opponent?
(I will say up front that my goal is usually to provide a fun experience for everyone in the game, and thus I've recently been trying to build sideboards that facilitate my own strategy/cover general holes in my hazard strategy rather than trying to completely hose whatever random strategy my opponent is employing -- but would be curious about your other perspectives regardless!)

P.S. If you've never built a sideboard and are coming to this thread looking for answers, this article might be a useful primer: http://www.guildcompanion.com/scrolls/1999/sep/
Kjeld

On a complete tangent, I couldn't help but notice that the link you provided also covers this historically very sad article:

"ICE FILES FOR CHAPTER 11 BANKRUPTCY PROTECTION" :(

http://www.guildcompanion.com/scrolls/1 ... ter11.html
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

If you don't have Blind/Ire in your extra sideboard vs. FW, you're not going to hit them as hard. If opponents didn't get an extra sideboard vs FW, you wouldn't expect to see Blind/Ire as often, but they are among the strongest anti-FW cards in the game.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
DamienX207
Council Member

Ahhh thanks, that does make more sense. If it wasn't obvious, my brother and I never used to play with sideboards so I'm relatively new to thinking about this stuff and the 10-extra-FW-cards escaped me. (with that said -- 40 card sideboards?! Really ICE, Fallen Wizards are THAT scary???)

Anyway, still would welcome any thoughts/expertise on other sideboard staples!
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

FWs can be that scary, yes, in the hands of skilled players.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.

Return to “Decks, Strategy, Tips, Ideas”